Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably could, but at any rate you are of course entitled to your opinion.

It certainly depends on the particular turbine, but I think some of the concerns are legitimate. I would not be happy with noise at night and during the day, a strobing shadow and can make some feel ill.

Power lines aren't that bad. Probably the power can be generated more efficiently at wind farms with larger turbines a good distance from where I'm trying to sleep.

I would submit that we are just used to power lines but I would still relish a community that has underground utilities and wind/solar.

Noise is not much of a problem in newer blade design and the bigger the blades the slower they rotate which also cuts down on noise.

I've never heard the evil shadow argument. Seems silly since it would be of such short duration.

40,000 wind turbines to power up North America by 2015 | VentureBeat

wind-turbines-jj-002.jpg

I don't have a source but I read that this increase in wind is displacing coal on the national grid.

What I remember reading was 7 years ago the grid was 51 percent coal. Now it's 48 percent coal -knocked down by mostly wind with some solar as well.

In big-picture arguments the US is still "half" coal but at some point we can comfortably say "less than half".

That explains why all 4 by the M25 near Woking were off on a windy day when I drove past recently.

Also, this is not good:

A report for Southwark Council, which is considering installing Quiet Revolution's urban turbines as part of its Elephant and Castle regeneration project, found the QR5s could consume more energy than they generated. The report, which was undertaken by the Gas Dynamics consultancy and released on Friday, also said the control system often cut out when large gusts of wind triggered its vibration sensor.

A bit unfair that the article then tars the whole industry with the same brush.

So my local news just came on and the lead story was that a wind farm of 3 turbines on the Isle of Wight was rejected by the council.

BBC News - Island's wind farm plan rejected

Some stereotypical hippy woman was interviewed on TV and said, "our Island landscape won't now be damaged irrevocably for our children". Eh? They are windmills. They can be taken down again just as easily as they were put up if and when we have something better...

But here's the real irony (and not picked up by the media). The very same transmitter that was sending me the news is under a mile away:

rowridge11.jpg

And an even taller one - one of the highest in the UK and twice as high as the proposed turbines - is just up the road:

chillerton04.jpg

This picture shows the view from the second to the first, about 3 miles away - the turbines would be to the left of this shot between the two:

chillerton07.jpg

NIMBIES...

"Scarecrow" wind farms put rare birds to flight - Times Online

The RSPB does not oppose wind farms but wants them sited away from areas where birds feed or breed and from migration routes. Pearce- Higgins said: “This work lets us assess prospective sites more accurately.”

It follows planning failures in America, Spain and Germany where the wind-farm boom has seen them built in prime bird areas. The danger is that the birds will be caught in the blades of a turbine: one wind farm in Altamont, northern California, has been blamed for killing 1,300 migratory birds of prey a year.

Gordon Brown unveils £100bn wind farm gamble - Times Online

This is cool. LIDAR systems can make existing Wind turbines 10% more efficient.
Laser Guidance Adds Power to Wind Turbines | Wired Science | Wired.com
The startup company that developed the Vindicator system, Catch the Wind, recently deployed a wind unit on a Nebraska Public Power District turbine. It increased the production of the unit (.pdf) by more than 10 percent, according to the company’s white paper. If those numbers held across the nations’ 35 gigawatts of installed wind capacity, the LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensors could add more than 3.5 gigawatts of wind capacity without adding a single additional turbine.

“This is what they call disruptive technology,” said William Fetzer, vice president of business development for Catch the Wind. “There are roughly 80,000 to 90,000 wind turbines out in the world, and they don’t have this technology.”