Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will install DIY PPF over the weekend from Tesbros on MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to install two PPF kits from Tesbros over the weekend and document my experience for anyone who wants to try it. I'll be doing the front end kit, and the other kit that comes with rockers, trunk, door handles, door trim, and rear lights. I already installed the interior kit and I LOVED doing it. I know that makes me weird. I was very happy with the result and it gave me confidence to try the outside. Here are my presumptions:

1) The car has to be CLEAAAANNN as well as the environment you are doing it in
2) I will need help - I'm going to attempt the smaller pieces myself but I've got a second person to help with some of the larger bits
3) It will be difficult and require patience, especially getting things lined up properly, keeping dust from getting underneath, and getting it all tacked down without bubbles
4) It will not come out perfect - I only have a tiny bit of practice and I know the interior is easier than the exterior, so I'm not expecting top notch professional results, but something good enough for me not to be embarrassed of either
5) Even assuming it will be hard, it will be harder than I've assumed! I make a habit of getting in over my head, so I'm ok with that
6) I'll probably run out of time and get like 2 pieces on and have to wash the car all over next weekend before continuing

First impressions of what Tesbros sent me:

The packaging is excellent and organized. They really send you everything you need that can fit in a smallish box.I am providing distilled water and some buckets but that's about it. The online tutorials are VERY thorough and that takes some of the anxiety out. Of course they make it look easy. I've watched the whole tutorial series twice already and may go through certain parts again before I start. I'll also be referring to it closely as I work. They let you start out with a couple of test pieces so you can return for a refund if you're not feeling it. There's a Facebook group you can post to specifically for those doing DIY PPF from Tesbros. Tesbros themselves seem responsive.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 257
Yet to pick my car from the dealership, but the PPF you are doing will the cover the entire car or are there certain positions you are going to do and leave out the rest.

Can you share a link for the facebook group ?

FB group is https://m.facebook.com/groups/258420745757545/?ref=share&mibextid=q5o4bk

It’s not the whole car. One kit covers all of the front (bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, Side mirrors) and the other covers the rockers (under the doors) a bit of the trunk, tail lights door handles, and door edges. Even writing all that out just now I wonder how much I’ll get done in a day!
I just did some DIY PPF myself and based on those pieces, I would recommend starting with headlights, side mirrors, hood, fenders, and then bumper.

It was hard at first but after the first few pieces, I started feeling pretty good. Definitely recommend having a partner for unrolling/peeling the PPF off the backing paper - I underestimated how hard that would be to do solo.

Reactions: DimaCA
I just did some DIY PPF myself and based on those pieces, I would recommend starting with headlights, side mirrors, hood, fenders, and then bumper.

It was hard at first but after the first few pieces, I started feeling pretty good. Definitely recommend having a partner for unrolling/peeling the PPF off the backing paper - I underestimated how hard that would be to do solo.
The Tesbros tutorials has you try out the mirrors as a test (they’ll give your $$ back if you change your mind at that point) but then they do the order of fenders, hood, bumper, then headlights last. I was wondering if they had a reason for their order because I wanted to do an order more like yours (easier to hardest).

That’s all excellent points, especially about getting some help: someone to help unroll the PPF, spray a little bit here and there and keeping an eye on larger pieces to make sure corners do not slide down.

Reactions: mvr1127
The Tesbros tutorials has you try out the mirrors as a test (they’ll give your $$ back if you change your mind at that point) but then they do the order of fenders, hood, bumper, then headlights last. I was wondering if they had a reason for their order because I wanted to do an order more like yours (easier to hardest).
Please share your results and experience !