Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will FSDb Floor It to Avoid Accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I was making an unprotected left onto another road. Because the visibility was limited, I turned FSDb off and did the turn myself.

Sure enough, as soon as I pulled out, a car came from the left at a high rate of speed. I floored it, and avoided an accident (wife screamed).

Question: Let's say that FSDb had been driving. Would it have floored it?

I don’t know for sure, but from what I’ve seen, no I don’t think so.

I’ve had AP swerve slightly into another lane to avoid a car that was cutting it too close on the other side (and may have clipped if no evasive action), and of course we’ve all experienced braking, but I haven’t noticed it increasing acceleration to avoid an object.

Recently I was making an unprotected left onto another road. Because the visibility was limited, I turned FSDb off and did the turn myself.

Sure enough, as soon as I pulled out, a car came from the left at a high rate of speed. I floored it, and avoided an accident (wife screamed).

I seriously doubt it. I think it would just sit there...maybe some erratic wheel movement but I don't think there would be any movement.

Very very very very very VERY unlikely. Its probably more likely that it would not choose to make the turn when you did, or see the car before you did and stop. "Flooring it" is probably not something it would ever do, even though humans do that (usually from reacting too late to something).

Reactions: JulienW
Very very very very very VERY unlikely. Its probably more likely that it would not choose to make the turn when you did, or see the car before you did and stop. "Flooring it" is probably not something it would ever do, even though humans do that (usually from reacting too late to something).
Yes, it would have likely just crept/creeped (not sure which is correct past tense is of what the car does 🤔 🤪) out slowly until it could see if is was clear or not. So in the OP's instance FSD Beta would have been a safer alternative than manually pulling out with out knowing, although it would have been a lot slower and less exciting for the significant other. :oops: 🤣

Last edited:
In this case we're essentially without context. It's hard to say what is safer in this use case.

But generally speaking, I'm not sure FSDb is necessarily safer today than a typical Tesla forum user on a complex UPL. I still have regular interventions with UPL's. It's great when it works but can and does mess up big time, occasionally dangerously if no human intervention were to happen. These days, if I were at a complex UPL (especially if oncoming traffic viz is limited), I'll do it manually. FSDb just fails on these too often.

I know the stats generally say "FSD with attentive driver" is safer than just an attentive driver. But I would be very much surprised if that stat was true for UPL's - I'm sure FSD is much worse.

Yes, it would have likely just crept/creeped (not sure which is correct past tense is of what the car does 🤔 🤪) out slowly until it could see if is was clear or not. So in the OP's instance FSD Beta would have been a safer alternative than manually pulling out with out knowing, although it would have been a lot slower and less exciting for the significant other. :oops: 🤣
Except I have on more than one occasion taken control and floored it when doing a left turn from a turning lane, where the opposing traffic is obscured by trees in the center of the road, and FSDb decides to go. Similar to your issue here: FSD Beta v11.x

Normally I would hit the brakes, however the car was far away enough that I decided to let it go to see what would happen, since this particular intersection it often messes up. It does a weird turn left, turn right, turn left jiggle, then starts to move forward, slowly. By that time the car is halfway into the opposing lane and going to slow to avoid an accident, so I floored it.

FSDb will accelerate aggressively when changing lanes into a tight gap or just after making a turn. But I don’t believe it will allow the car to go over the set speed. And from what I can tell it doesn’t really react to anything in the rear camera except for occasionally getting out of the left lane on the highway as a car approaches closely. Frankly it seems to me that the rear view is a real blind spot for the AI in detecting type and speeds of objects.

Reactions: Mark II