Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 22 Inch Wheels Fit in Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

Someone is offering me the 22" onyx wheels, times and sensors for 2,500 all in. Is this a good deal? Should I worry about knock-offs?

Also, will these fit in my car? I need to take them to a tire shop to swap them out.

Thank you!

are they new? there are a lot of people with new ones from the Referral Program... the market price for those seems to be around $3,000.00. If the set you are buying is not new, I would look for a new set and pay $500 more. That's what I did and found a perfect brand new set on Facebook.

Reactions: masapo98
are they new? there are a lot of people with new ones from the Referral Program... the market price for those seems to be around $3,000.00. If the set you are buying is not new, I would look for a new set and pay $500 more. That's what I did and found a perfect brand new set on Facebook.

Yes, these are new. I found them via facebook marketplace. :)

I need to bring them to a tire shop to have them installed. Would they fit in my model x (6 seater)?

Hello Tesla Community,

Someone is offering me the 22" onyx wheels, times and sensors for 2,500 all in. Is this a good deal? Should I worry about knock-offs?

Also, will these fit in my car? I need to take them to a tire shop to swap them out.

Thank you!

Yes that’s a good deal. I’ve gotten several sets at that price and they’re RARE. If you don’t like them, it’s easy to turn around and sell those for about $3000-$3500 quickly.

As for if they’ll fit, yes. I’ve transported them home in a 6 seater with two passengers. 3rd row goes down and three wheels in the trunk. One can fit in the deep well. Last one can go between the front and middle row, but I ended up dropping it into the center.

Reactions: masapo98
27747707407_cc74e03f51_c.jpg

I got my local garage to swap over the wheels, new tyre pressure sensors were recognized after a few miles of driving.

I got ours as part of the referral system, fantastic looking wheels, really completes the look of the car!!

32469998267_3155d33ec0_c.jpg

It is probably just to set the flag so the images depicted in the display graphics accurately reflect the tires.

There’s more than that, it does actually change the suspension and sensor settings.

On the S, the suspension recalibration is independent from the graphic. It senses the 21” wheels vs 19” and will ask on screen if you want to recalibrate. (Unfortunately doesn’t do this on the X) It will then adjust the speedometer, TPMS readings to appropriate pressure, and I was told it adjusts the traction control settings to accommodate the larger diameter.

On the X, there have been people who went with lowering links and caused error to show in the 20” configuration, which went away once they recalibrated to 22”. Not sure what goes into the X recalibration but it’s more than graphics.

Reactions: forkee
I've done 6k now on 22s, noticed no problems with TC, air suspension, or tyre wear. I've never owned another car that needed dealer 'calibration' when changing rim sizes.

Speedo woudlnt need changing if your using OEM tyres, rolling circumference wil be the same.

I've got a copy of the 2017 X workshop manual on my laptop, I'll check later today to see if it says anything.

I've done 6k now on 22s, noticed no problems with TC, air suspension, or tyre wear. I've never owned another car that needed dealer 'calibration' when changing rim sizes.

Speedo woudlnt need changing if your using OEM tyres, rolling circumference wil be the same.

I've got a copy of the 2017 X workshop manual on my laptop, I'll check later today to see if it says anything.

I've never owned another car that left the rear camera on when you're driving either, but apparently Tesla does.

Again, I'm not positive as to what goes into the calibration, but there are differences in the wheel tire combo. I confirmed this with the SC yesterday and they didn't give specifics but did say there's ride height and sensor calibration during it.

Consider this, when you move from 20" wheels to 22" wheels, the following happens.

1) The front wheels get smaller by a VERY small amount that most cars would consider acceptable. This causes the fronts to do an additional 2 rotations on the 22" wheels compared to the 20" wheels over the course of a mile.

2) The rear wheels get larger by double the amount of the fronts but still VERY small amount that most cars would consider acceptable. This causes the rears to do 2 rotations less on the 20 wheels over the course of a mile.

Most other cars have a 1% tolerance, both of these fall within those tolerances. But, most other cars have slack in the driveline, and all drive wheels are ultimately connected in some shape or form mechanically. The Tesla has removed a lot of these complexities and controls via sensors and electronically, so it's not unfathomable that they are doing something for calibration to account for the two small variations in opposite directions. Especially when you consider Tesla's rather unique mandate for no wheelspin.

Is it something you'd notice day to day? Probably not. Could it have affects on giving different readings to the computer and sensors? Possibly. Maybe it reduces the amount of room before traction control kicks in. Or maybe the additional minor forward pitch in the car changes aerodynamics. Not sure, but I do know this car is a lot more particular than any other car I've owned.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I've never owned another car that left the rear camera on when you're driving either, but apparently Tesla does.

Again, I'm not positive as to what goes into the calibration, but there are differences in the wheel tire combo. I confirmed this with the SC yesterday and they didn't give specifics but did say there's ride height and sensor calibration during it.

Consider this, when you move from 20" wheels to 22" wheels, the following happens.

1) The front wheels get smaller by a VERY small amount that most cars would consider acceptable. This causes the fronts to do an additional 2 rotations on the 22" wheels compared to the 20" wheels over the course of a mile.

2) The rear wheels get larger by double the amount of the fronts but still VERY small amount that most cars would consider acceptable. This causes the rears to do 2 rotations less on the 20 wheels over the course of a mile.

Most other cars have a 1% tolerance, both of these fall within those tolerances. But, most other cars have slack in the driveline, and all drive wheels are ultimately connected in some shape or form mechanically. The Tesla has removed a lot of these complexities and controls via sensors and electronically, so it's not unfathomable that they are doing something for calibration to account for the two small variations in opposite directions. Especially when you consider Tesla's rather unique mandate for no wheelspin.

Is it something you'd notice day to day? Probably not. Could it have affects on giving different readings to the computer and sensors? Possibly. Maybe it reduces the amount of room before traction control kicks in. Or maybe the additional minor forward pitch in the car changes aerodynamics. Not sure, but I do know this car is a lot more particular than any other car I've owned.
I’ll find out this Wednesday when I go in for it. I’ll ask. I honestly think it just has to do with the suspension calibration and the difference in height between the two sets of wheels. If u order with the 22’ u don’t need anything if u put 20’s on but not vice versa. The tire pressure sensors instantly synced up so that’s not the issue.

I’ll find out this Wednesday when I go in for it. I’ll ask. I honestly think it just has to do with the suspension calibration and the difference in height between the two sets of wheels. If u order with the 22’ u don’t need anything if u put 20’s on but not vice versa. The tire pressure sensors instantly synced up so that’s not the issue.

I lined up a set of 22" Onyx with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico to replace stock 20" Slipstream for upcoming (on order) Raven 2019 LR Model X.
Did you find out if "calibration" by the service center is needed after putting on 22s from stock 20s?
Thanks for any feedback.

I lined up a set of 22" Onyx with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico to replace stock 20" Slipstream for upcoming (on order) Raven 2019 LR Model X.
Did you find out if "calibration" by the service center is needed after putting on 22s from stock 20s?
Thanks for any feedback.
I did take it in and they did perform the calibration from 20 to 22” for me. But like mentioned, I believe that now with the newest software update, we can now perform the calibration ourselfs a it will also change the avatar accordingly

• Informative
Reactions: Daisame and RoBoRaT
Latest software update now lets you change the 'wheel configuration' in the settings page.

48683635613_6e77f21a57_z_d.jpg

See video below which shows different air suspension heights with different wheel configs. Looks like the car is definitely modifying the settings between wheel sizes even though the overall diameter of the wheels+tires should be the same. Odd.