Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wrap the wood dash when you can stain it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May 1st will be two years of ownership with my Model 3. I've made more mods than needed over the years. One mod that I felt I had to do was to wrap the wood dash. I wanted to like the OEM wood dash but just never could. I didn't like the light wood and always felt it needed to be darker.

OEM wood dash:
OEM Dash-1.jpg

OEM wood dash:
OEM wood dash.jpg

I just didn't have the guts to stain it. I ended up wrapping it in matrix black vinyl.

Matrix Black dash wrap:
Matrix Dash Wrap.jpg

I was sent two for the price of one. Therefore, I still have a fresh one at my disposal. This crazy virus has had me going a little stir crazy, looking for things to do, so I decided to take off the matrix black wrap and I stained the wood darker (Ebony Minwax). I was going to go with Dark Walnut but the Ebony was a bit darker which I preferred. It's drying at the moment but I'm liking it. I look forward to actually seeing it in the car tomorrow. And if I end up wanting to go back to the matrix black I have that option. I can never go back to the OEM light wood dash but I'm okay with that.

Ebony Minwax stain:
Ebony Stain-1.jpg

Ebony Minwax stain:
Ebony Stain-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like this idea. Do you have pictures when installed in the car?
May 1st will be two years of ownership with my Model 3. I've made more mods than needed over the years. One mod that I felt I had to do was to wrap the wood dash. I wanted to like the OEM wood dash but just never could. I didn't like the light wood and always felt it needed to be darker.

OEM wood dash:
View attachment 527656

OEM wood dash:
View attachment 527659

I just didn't have the guts to stain it. I ended up wrapping it in matrix black vinyl.

Matrix Black dash wrap:
View attachment 527655

I was sent two for the price of one. Therefore, I still have a fresh one at my disposal. This crazy virus has had me going a little stir crazy, looking for things to do, so I decided to take off the matrix black wrap and I stained the wood darker (Ebony Minwax). I was going to go with Dark Walnut but the Ebony was a bit darker which I preferred. It's drying at the moment but I'm liking it. I look forward to actually seeing it in the car tomorrow. And if I end up wanting to go back to the matrix black I have that option. I can never go back to the OEM light wood dash but I'm okay with that.

Ebony Minwax stain:
View attachment 527658

Ebony Minwax stain:
View attachment 527657