Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can I no longer edit the design of our Model Y on order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered our Model Y 3/28/22 and for a good while now the delivery date has been Nov to Jan 2023. Then it changed to Nov 5 - Dec 15. I checked today and now it is Oct 18 - Nov 22. Since this vehicle will qualify for the $7500 tax credit I wanted to try what some have suggested and change the design to White and overall the most basic option hoping it would delay delivery until Jan 2023 and we can get the $7500 credit, but now the Edit Design button is gone or I am just totally missing it. I know it was there a few weeks ago because I clicked it and decided to wait until the time got a little closer. If you look at Tesla's website it still says you can Edit the Design until the final invoice, but I do not see it on the website or in the app. Is this normal? Does anyone know of how I can change the design?
Order Agreement delivery estimate 8.29.22.jpg
Snag_156481a8.png
Snag_15652de5.png

Last edited:
Sounds like you are changing the design to base version to delay delivery, and then you will change the design back to what you initially had / wanted after 1/1/23? I think price went up since your initial order in March. How does your 2 design change impact pricing? Tesla also recently change "standard connectivity" from lifetime to 8 years, do you lose lifetime standard connectivity by doing these changes after the new rule went into effect?

Reactions: IndyGopher
Sounds like you are changing the design to base version to delay delivery, and then you will change the design back to what you initially had / wanted after 1/1/23? I think price went up since your initial order in March. How does your 2 design change impact pricing? Tesla also recently change "standard connectivity" from lifetime to 8 years, do you lose lifetime standard connectivity by doing these changes after the new rule went into effect?
As it stands now, you can seemingly make as many changes to your order as you like and always get pricing levels from the date of your initial order.
Not sure about standard connectivity but I do see Aug/Sep orders who have made changes to their order (like adding and removing FSD) still get their cars with the 1 year premium connectivity that was standard at the time they ordered. So I think if you ordered when standard was lifetime you will still get lifetime even if you make changes to the order.

I had to call to get the Edit Design opened back up as someone stated in this thread. I changed from black to white to see if it made any difference. Several people said it takes a few days for the change to make a difference so will see. Now the Edit Design is back so will change it back to black if still falls in 2022. Also, someone asked about the price and the pricing levels remained the same as when we placed the order March of this year.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
You don't know that. It might only qualify for $3,750. (I'm pretty sure it will qualify for at least that much.) Then it is up to if you qualify and have enough tax liability.
Tax Liability is no longer an issue. It is going to be treated as a credit . The only reason IRS is involved right now is the first year they will be the ones reimbusing your credit. After the first year a system will be in place to make the credit a day one purchase credit on your invoice paid directly to the dealer at time of sale.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tax Liability is no longer an issue. It is going to be treated as a credit .
I don't think that is true. Do you have a link showing that it is? (I thought that was dropped in the changes from the BBB version to the IRA version.)

The only reason IRS is involved right now is the first year they will be the ones reimbusing your credit. After the first year a system will be in place to make the credit a day one purchase credit on your invoice paid directly to the dealer at time of sale.
And if you tax a larger credit at the time of sale than you are allowed you will have to pay it back to the IRS when you file your taxes.

I don't think that is true. Do you have a link showing that it is? (I thought that was dropped in the changes from the BBB version to the IRA version.)

And if you tax a larger credit at the time of sale than you are allowed you will have to pay it back to the IRS when you file your taxes.
This is a text cut and pasted Right out of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022

``(D) with respect to any incentive otherwise available for
the purchase of a vehicle for which a credit is allowed under
this section, including any incentive in the form of a rebate
or discount provided by the dealer or manufacturer, ensured
that--
``(i) the availability or use of such incentive shall
not limit the ability of a taxpayer to make an election
described in paragraph (1), and
``(ii) such election shall not limit the value or use
of such incentive.
``(3) Timing.--An election described in paragraph (1) shall be
made by the taxpayer not later than the date on which the vehicle
for which the credit is allowed under subsection (a) is purchased.
``(4) Revocation of registration.--Upon determination by the
Secretary that a dealer has failed to comply with the requirements
described in paragraph (2), the Secretary may revoke the
registration (as described in subparagraph (A) of such paragraph)
of such dealer.
``(5) Tax treatment of payments.--With respect to any payment
described in paragraph (2)(C), such payment--
``(A) shall not be includible in the gross income of the
taxpayer, and
``(B) with respect to the dealer, shall not be deductible
under this title.
``(6) Application of certain other requirements.--In the case
of any election under paragraph (1) with respect to any vehicle--
``(A) the requirements of paragraphs (1) and (2) of
subsection (f) shall apply to the taxpayer who acquired the
vehicle in the same manner as if the credit determined under
this section with respect to such vehicle were allowed to such
taxpayer,
``(B) paragraph (6) of such subsection shall not apply, and
``(C) the requirement of paragraph (9) of such subsection
(f) shall be treated as satisfied if the eligible entity
provides the vehicle identification number of such vehicle to
the Secretary in such manner as the Secretary may provide.
``(7) Advance payment to registered dealers.--
``(A) In general.--The Secretary shall establish a program
to make advance payments to any eligible entity in an amount
equal to the cumulative amount of the credits allowed under
subsection (a) with respect to any vehicles sold by such entity
for which an election described in paragraph (1) has been made.
``(B) Excessive payments.--Rules similar to the rules of
section 6417(d)(6) shall apply for purposes of this paragraph.
``(C) Treatment of advance payments.--For purposes of
section 1324 of title 31, United States Code, the payments
under subparagraph (A) shall be treated in the same manner as a
refund due from a credit provision referred to in subsection
(b)(2) of such section.

as you can read it will treat it as a Tax Refund Not a tax credit

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I had to call to get the Edit Design opened back up as someone stated in this thread. I changed from black to white to see if it made any difference. Several people said it takes a few days for the change to make a difference so will see. Now the Edit Design is back so will change it back to black if still falls in 2022. Also, someone asked about the price and the pricing levels remained the same as when we placed the order March of this year.
Hope it works for you!

Hope it works for you!
UPDATE: It did not 😂! I checked everyday and then one day I checked and they had issued a VIN for the white Model Y and it would be delivered in about a week and the Edit Design button was gone again. My wife was very specific, she did not want a white car and really neither did I. So called the Tesla store and asked where the Edit button was. They first said. "I had already been issued a VIN so that is why it was gone." I said we changed our mind and now want black and that their site said you could change up until the final invoice. He said to let him check with the manager and they called back in about 30 minutes and said no problem and changed it back to black. After about a week more the EDD went to October 23 - November 27 which is a few days closer to January than before, but still in 2022.

As they continue ramping up Austin, which will probably take some pressure off Freemont, I suspect the date will move earlier, but I have resigned to the fact I will not get the $7500 tax credit. When you factor in the price I have locked in from March to the price now if I were to cancel and reorder for the tax credit the difference would be around $3500 - $4000 so I am going to leave well enough alone and hopefully get the car ASAP!

After having our Model 3 P for a few months and now going back to the one vehicle we have left which is a 2015 Ford F150 you really notice how nice and well built the Tesla is. Can't wait to get back in a Tesla. We got this Model Y with a trailer hitch so we can use a small utility trailer to replace the truck. Then we will sell the truck or trade it in and be a one car family since we both work from home and don't have to drive a lot.

UPDATE: It did not😂! I checked everyday and then one day I checked and they had issued a VIN for the white Model Y and it would be delivered in about a week and the Edit Design button was gone again. My wife was very specific, she did not want a white car and really neither did I. So called the Tesla store and asked where the Edit button was. They first said. "I had already been issued a VIN so that is why it was gone." I said we changed our mind and now want black and that their site said you could change up until the final invoice. He said to let him check with the manager and they called back in about 30 minutes and said no problem and changed it back to black. After about a week more the EDD went to October 23 - November 27 which is a few days closer to January than before, but still in 2022.

As they continue ramping up Austin, which will probably take some pressure off Freemont, I suspect the date will move earlier, but I have resigned to the fact I will not get the $7500 tax credit. When you factor in the price I have locked in from March to the price now if I were to cancel and reorder for the tax credit the difference would be around $3500 - $4000 so I am going to leave well enough alone and hopefully get the car ASAP!

After having our Model 3 P for a few months and now going back to the one vehicle we have left which is a 2015 Ford F150 you really notice how nice and well built the Tesla is. Can't wait to get back in a Tesla. We got this Model Y with a trailer hitch so we can use a small utility trailer to replace the truck. Then we will sell the truck or trade it in and be a one car family since we both work from home and don't have to drive a lot.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get your car soon - if you're lucky they may allocate you a car within this quarter! No more waiting in anxiety for the eligibility requirements for the tax credit!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get your car soon - if you're lucky they may allocate you a car within this quarter! No more waiting in anxiety for the eligibility requirements for the tax credit!
Yep, EDD just changed. I checked this morning and it was still Oct 23 - Nov 27 and now it is Sept 26 - Oct 10! We may be picking it up next week if this progress continues! :D

Attachments

• Model Y EDD 9.10.22.png
    Model Y EDD 9.10.22.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 150
Yep, EDD just changed. I checked this morning and it was still Oct 23 - Nov 27 and now it is Sept 26 - Oct 10! We may be picking it up next week if this progress continues! :D

That's fantastic! I took delivery of mine on Thursday. I forgot all about the tax credit the moment I drove the car off the lot. Hope you get to do the same soon!

Reactions: Tcmccormick
UPDATE: It did not😂! I checked everyday and then one day I checked and they had issued a VIN for the white Model Y and it would be delivered in about a week and the Edit Design button was gone again. My wife was very specific, she did not want a white car and really neither did I. So called the Tesla store and asked where the Edit button was. They first said. "I had already been issued a VIN so that is why it was gone." I said we changed our mind and now want black and that their site said you could change up until the final invoice. He said to let him check with the manager and they called back in about 30 minutes and said no problem and changed it back to black. After about a week more the EDD went to October 23 - November 27 which is a few days closer to January than before, but still in 2022.

Tell them you want a seven seater and it will move out to at least January.