Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Whole House Fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iPlug

Sep 14, 2019
Rocklin, CA
I will venture to say that ours is one of many whole house fan households grieving in California these days.

It’s a great way to cool the house at night and early morning during the summer for a fraction of the energy the air-conditioning would require. Alas with all the smoke, that remains a no go right now.

I will venture to say that ours is one of many whole house fan households grieving in California these days.

It’s a great way to cool the house at night and early morning during the summer for a fraction of the energy the air-conditioning would require. Alas with all the smoke, that remains a no go right now.

I made some custom filters out of HVAC HEPA filters I got at home depot and inserted them into the windows.

I made some custom filters out of HVAC HEPA filters I got at home depot and inserted them into the windows.
Might be a business opportunity for someone willing to chase it. Are any windows these days of any standard size that could make this straight-forward for the non-handy?

For the do-it-yourself motivated, my concern would be rigging up something that had a good seal but not too tacky looking that the wife would give it a veto.

Also, the whole house fans move a lot of air, so through some combination of high surface area and high throughput, that would be a lot of air filter material/replacement in this smoke. Was blowing off the outside hardscape surfaces this morning, just done a few days prior, and there was a significant amount of ash rolling along that accumulated during that time.

I haven't had to use it, but my cabin has a swamp cooler and I wonder if enough smoke could be pulled out of the air by the wet filters to allow running during this time, otherwise, it would be sweltering in there.
Curious here too. Water capture of particulants sounds appealing if it doesn't compromise air flow or need filter cleaning/replacement too often.

For the do-it-yourself motivated, my concern would be rigging up something that had a good seal but not too tacky looking that the wife would give it a veto.

I still like the idea of
suing Exxon in small claims court as a public nuisance. If you're effected by the smoke sue them for $9,999 (IIRC the limit is $10k in small claims) to get professionally made custom smoke filters for all your windows.

• Funny
Reactions: iPlug