Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint issue visible only with certain light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night, I pull the car into the garage and notice a strange line on the rear quarter panel. It doesn't go away with angles, and it is ONLY visible with my garage door opener light (LEDs and Sunlight it looks fine).

Tesla set up a service appt but I fear it will be a waste of my time. What do you think teslamotorsclub.com?

First photo is in daylight, nothing visible.
Other photos in garage you can see the line.

Attachments

• 20220308_082607.jpg
    20220308_082607.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 106
  • VideoCapture_20220307-183632.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220307-183632.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 79
  • VideoCapture_20220307-183613.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220307-183613.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 77
  • VideoCapture_20220307-183712.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220307-183712.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 77
If you can't see it in anything but your garage, I'd say let it go. I can see the SC guy/gal coming out now in the sunlight to inspect the vehicle..."totally within spec". Even if they agree under good will or something, maybe they can get it out with some buffing, but no way would I have a respray done. It'll make things worse.

Even if they did find something in that light, and acknowledge that as a defect (very unlikely they do that), what would you be wanting them to do about it?

If that were me, I would just take it to a good detail place and get the car detailed (or at least get their opinion on it). I am not sure what else you would want Tesla to do, but even if they (for example) agreed with you 100% that there was a defect, and they would replace the entire panel, you run the very real risk of it not being an exact paint match, etc.

TL ; DR -- Leave it alone, or take it to an auto detailer, tesla probably isnt going to do anything about that, and even if they were willing to, the results of anything they might do likely would have you worse off than now.

OK - I canceled the service appointment and will be switching the garage lights to LED 😉

No doubt it IS a defect, since it's not apparent on any other panels, although a minor one.
Otherwise, this paint job exceeds the quality of my past BMWs and Porsches handily. Digging the white more than expected.