Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whirring sound in neutral or drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post here. So I’ve had a 2020 MRSR+ with 42k on it, and have been worry free for the past two months. Yesterday, I noticed a sound from the front right grill area that I’ve never heard before. It’s not the normal pedestrian warning sound, nor is it that air compressor, which sounds like a razor. It sounds like a fan . I tried to attach an audio clip but I have not been able to. It’s a constant sound that presents when the car is in N or D. After about 20 MPH or so it *seems*to go away. It’s also not there when the car is in reverse. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!!

I'm guessing it is the fan on the front heat exchanger. It would go away above 20 mph as there is enough natural airflow.

I'm surprised you are hearing it for the first time. I wonder what has changed. Maybe software update has made it more aggressive? Or that there may actually be something wrong. Did you just get hearing aids?

Hi all, first post here. So I’ve had a 2020 MRSR+ with 42k on it, and have been worry free for the past two months. Yesterday, I noticed a sound from the front right grill area that I’ve never heard before. It’s not the normal pedestrian warning sound, nor is it that air compressor, which sounds like a razor. It sounds like a fan . I tried to attach an audio clip but I have not been able to. It’s a constant sound that presents when the car is in N or D. After about 20 MPH or so it *seems*to go away. It’s also not there when the car is in reverse. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!!
Greetings, my 2021 with 38k just started making a blower sound at the lower passenger front grill area when in Drive or Neutral. It’s pretty loud, sounds akin to a blow torch. Were you able to diagnose this issue on your car?

Greetings, my 2021 with 38k just started making a blower sound at the lower passenger front grill area when in Drive or Neutral. It’s pretty loud, sounds akin to a blow torch. Were you able to diagnose this issue on your car?

Update: As it turns out, the noise I’m experiencing is emitting from the pedestrian speaker and is the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS). By design.

My car absolutely did not make this sound until recently. My guess is an update enabled this.

Jump to about 2:00 in this video. This is the sound I’m hearing:

Why didn’t I hear this before? A good friend of mine speculates Tesla inadvertently disabled the Drive and Neutral PWS when they had to disable Boombox in those modes and recently reenabled the sound with an update. The tech at my local shop wasn’t aware of this at first but then discovered it’s intentional.

Thinking about this more the sound they create is akin to tire road noise, amplified and present even when motionless if you are in D or N. I personally would prefer this only emits when the car is actually in motion, but I suppose there’s a safety reason it’s present whenever the car is capable of moving forward.

I would also personally prefer the PWS be the Jetsons car sound as opposed to this blower/tire friction sound :)