Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Blind Spot Detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In AP version 9 we get “Drive on NAV” which does not do what it sounds like it should. It only recommends when you change lanes on a freeway. Big deal...

How about a safety feature that Kia’s have but apparently is too complicated for Tesla to incorporate?... Blind spot detection. We all know that Tesla has cameras facing towards the rear quarters of the car... why can’t they detect overtaking vehicles that enter into a MS’s huge blind spots?

I have owned my MS for a month and have almost hit several cars because of the massive blind spots. Please Elon...

I'm pretty sure that your interpretation of the features in version 9 is incorrect.

I believe that Blind Spot Detection is working now, but it isn't the same thing that you find on other cars. I believe that you first see the lines around the rear quarters of the car in the display, which yes, isn't a great solution. And second, their are alerts, but these are "just before crap happens" as opposed to "seeing an issue before you try to change lanes"

And I believe that everyone is expecting improvement in V9.

BTW, from my understanding, V9 will provide on-ramp to off-ramp autonomous driving. That means that it will change roads and chose the correct exits. The lane change recommendation is only one of the smaller features that will be coming.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
BTW, from my understanding, V9 will provide on-ramp to off-ramp autonomous driving.

Maybe in 18 months, definitely not at the first release.

OP is right, blind spot detection is garbage in the current release. The ultrasonic sensors are a great indicator of the car that passed you going the opposite direction 2 seconds ago, or the tree in the median you passed 200 feet ago, but that's about it.

Rumor has it that a proper solution is coming with V9, and indeed I think that will be the (only) main feature released initially along with the UI refresh.

This creates a very large blind spot in the primary direction of vehicle velocity.

And yet for decades we drove cars without mechanical blind spot sensors and didn’t hit anything in the primary direction of vehicle velocity.

And yet even with mechanical blind spot sensors people still manage to hit stuff in the primary direction of vehicle velocity.

Strange that.

Reactions: Russell and cwerdna
And yet for decades we drove cars without mechanical blind spot sensors and didn’t hit anything in the primary direction of vehicle velocity.

And yet even with mechanical blind spot sensors people still manage to hit stuff in the primary direction of vehicle velocity.

Strange that.

Either you misunderstood what I said, or you are asserting that looking away from the primary direction of vehicle movement creates no additional risk.

In AP version 9 we get “Drive on NAV” which does not do what it sounds like it should. It only recommends when you change lanes on a freeway. Big deal...

How about a safety feature that Kia’s have but apparently is too complicated for Tesla to incorporate?... Blind spot detection. We all know that Tesla has cameras facing towards the rear quarters of the car... why can’t they detect overtaking vehicles that enter into a MS’s huge blind spots?

I have owned my MS for a month and have almost hit several cars because of the massive blind spots. Please Elon...

Your current Blind spot detection are your Ret.View Mirrors !
And it works perfect !

How to Set Rear‐View Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

Reactions: arcus
This doesnt work everywhere.

It does create a "blind spot" in which a motorcycle can fit, which is one potential downside. It eliminates the blind spot for larger (i.e. two-axle or more) vehicles.

This method doesnt allow you to see far back on both lane dividers where motorcycle riders split lanes traveling much faster than the flow of traffic.

Your rear view mirror does this if properly set.

If motorcycle riders are "traveling much faster" than traffic, they would be in the aforementioned blind spot for a fraction of a second. At a 20mph differential, the motorcycle would progress 30 feet in one second, which is nearly twice the length of a Tesla Model S.

Consider under what circumstances a motorcycle would be splitting lanes and a vehicle driver would have the ability to change lanes.

Consider how many motorcycles are owned in the United States.

Consider how many non-motorcycles are owned in the United States.

Then we have different information.

All I know is that when I am in AP and I turn on my blinker, the car changes lane even though another car is in its blind spot. Give it a try.... (J/K... you would probably cause an accident).
My car wont change lanes while in autopilot with another car next to me or in the "blind" spot. Yes, I do this all the time, I turn on the blinker, knowing a car is there and the car waits for the spot to clear before it changes lanes. I can do this either direction, with cars passing me or me passing cars.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Your current Blind spot detection are your Ret.View Mirrors !
And it works perfect !

How to Set Rear‐View Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

I've started using this method with my MS and it's helped a ton. Agreed, I really think the lack of true blind spot detection is quite silly, but given that it's not going to change anytime soon, this is the next best thing.

This doesnt work everywhere.

This method doesnt allow you to see far back on both lane dividers where motorcycle riders split lanes traveling much faster than the flow of traffic.

I need my side mirrors facing back so I can watch out for riders.

Understandable, and in certain areas this is much more common than in others. But I would say more often than not, I'm more likely to merge into another car in my blindspot than run into this situation. One option might be to move your head to the center/closer to the window when there's a risk of lane splitters coming by as you change lanes. Not ideal, I know.