Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where exactly is the microphone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where's the love. @Gwgan answered it three posts in. I am not sure it was correct but it looked good to me.:)

Nope those are tweeters for the UHFS.
Loudspeaker Layout.jpg

I'm pretty sure the wee billy-dos at the top of the pillars are the ultra-conic transceivers for the security system but I haven't got them - maybe its a part of the optional security package... and that the mike is, in fact, behind the drop-down grill above the rear view mirror...

12v connecter taped.jpg

The mikes themselves are located between the grille and the black plastic backing plate to which the mike wiring connectors (grey) are attached and there are 2 mikes.

Incidentally, the taped up connector in the centre of the flap is a 12V source in my Model S60 (2015) which is not, apparently, on all S'. It certainly made for a simple dash-cam install...

12V connector labeled.jpg

MW

Last edited:
Tested it with someone on the phone by tapping it, etc. The mic is in the pillar, to left of driver, in that little small grill you see, that is like 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Confirmed that by calling myself and tapping it with finger and it you could hear the tapping, and voice was very loud speaking into that hole directly.

So angle your voice somewhat forward and to left to be optimal ;-)

Indeed - I really must get along to a showroom and have a look at a X in the flesh - that windscreen really is awesome... I assume at least some (UK) showrooms have replaced the usual display S with an X by now... or has the rolling chassis gone? I'll be at the Oxford Street Clubhouse event next week, so hopefully there will be one there. I'll try not to mess up the upholstery with my drooling. MW

Reactions: vandacca
I have the same issue as the original poster. Model X 60D. Has anyone gotten this issue resolved? So far I learned it has nothing to do with bluetooth, my phone, or electrical noise. The problem is related to the microphone itself, how bad it is at picking up directional sounds (from the driver) vs. all sounds (this is called polar pattern/directionality), the direction in which it points (could this make a difference from car to car?), how it is attached to the car (e.g. is it sufficiently insulated from the car's vibrations), and whether there's an obstruction between the microphone and the driver (forgotten protective film??).

I have driven many (rental) cars and my MX has by far the worst voice pickup level and quality of all.