Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does the S fit in the world of luxury sedans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch.

I'm not sure what this means? Are you saying the roadster interior turned out nicer than originally billed or that people don't care at this's point because of of the other pluses of the car?

It's the latter. The roadster has a terrible interior for a $100k car but roadster owners don't complain about it because the rest of the car is totally awesome. I expect the same with the model S. People are vocal now because they'd like Tesla to make changes to the interior, but you'll never see people complaining about it once they have the cars in their hands.

.. but you'll never see people complaining about it once they have the cars in their hands.
Tesla doesn't need to be best in class interior. They need to be good enough to at least elicit a "meh" and move on to the driving experience. I know when I went looking at various cars when we bought my wife's car, there were a few I got it sat down and went "Nope" and never test drove. Tesla can't win if they can't get people to drive it.

Tesla's interior might be sufficiently there not to be a negative right now for the average consumer, not having the seen the car I can't really judge. I can only go on the statements we've all seen others making.

Tesla doesn't need to be best in class interior. They need to be good enough to at least elicit a "meh" and move on to the driving experience. I know when I went looking at various cars when we bought my wife's car, there were a few I got it sat down and went "Nope" and never test drove. Tesla can't win if they can't get people to drive it.

Tesla's interior might be sufficiently there not to be a negative right now for the average consumer, not having the seen the car I can't really judge. I can only go on the statements we've all seen others making.

I don't know about the rest of the country but in the Bay Area, you point to the large 17" iPad between the two front seats and that's good enough to warrant at least the "meh" or maybe even an, "OK, I see what you are doing here!"

I don't know about the rest of the country but in the Bay Area, you point to the large 17" iPad between the two front seats and that's good enough to warrant at least the "meh" or maybe even an, "OK, I see what you are doing here!"

I'm a techie (a programmer) and I like the touch screen, but it's value is rather orthogonal to the question of "Do I want to sit in this car for long periods?" That's just me though.

It's the latter. The roadster has a terrible interior for a $100k car but roadster owners don't complain about it because the rest of the car is totally awesome. I expect the same with the model S. People are vocal now because they'd like Tesla to make changes to the interior, but you'll never see people complaining about it once they have the cars in their hands.

I'm quite likely to have to cancel my order due to the interior. Not because it's bad (though it is), but because it's sufficiently non-standard in design that it seems like I'm not going to be able to find a custom shop which can fix it for me. See the headliner thread I just started.

I'm quite likely to have to cancel my order due to the interior. Not because it's bad (though it is), but because it's sufficiently non-standard in design that it seems like I'm not going to be able to find a custom shop which can fix it for me. See the headliner thread I just started.
This is nonsensical. "non-standard" is the definition of "custom" . It's not like Tesla reinvented the Philips head screw of the panel clip.

With a Merc or Lex you change the interior hide or cloth and you still have a plastic field of plastic buttons down the center of the dash With the S you can get the hide of your choice and a screen skin app to match!

This is nonsensical. "non-standard" is the definition of "custom" . It's not like Tesla reinvented the Philips head screw of the panel clip.

With a Merc or Lex you change the interior hide or cloth and you still have a plastic field of plastic buttons down the center of the dash With the S you can get the hide of your choice and a screen skin app to match!

I think neroden's case is a corner case that hopefully Tesla can do a one-off and handle for him (I think it will depend on if there is polyester in the headliner of the base model).

There are other legitimate concerns about storage space and fit and finish that Tesla will hopefully address soon.

I think neroden's case is a corner case
Absolutely. I am a corner case. Sigh. Most annoying allergy ever.

Anyway, degree of custom work is the issue for my corner case; I've been looking up what's "easy" or "routine" for custom shops and what's not, and some stuff is not. Technically, a custom shop could replace that plastic field of plastic buttons in your Merc, but they've probably never tried to do it before.