Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your Wh/mi and how do you do it? Any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I made some progress on this. I changed the following:
1. Unplugged my Ownice T3(user for Android Auto/Apple Car Play) which creates its own WiFi and potentially contributed to excess "Everything else" in the Energy app
2. Removed the PVC tube from the rear hatch gasket which potentially may lead to insulation leak(unlikely) thus affecting Climate
3. Turned on Recirculation of air
4. Installed black roof sunshade

Setup: Outside temp 85-88F, inside temp set to 73F
Starter driving from home - a dense urban environment, with lots of stop and go traffic before hitting the freeway 2 miles later. Drove around 50 miles at speed limit on the freeway before returning home. I use hold with chill mode for driving.

Observations on energy usage - the first couple were terrible on the Wh/mi usage hitting 350+. But once I hit the freeway the numbers quickly came down with lowest usage close to 220 and average for the trip close to 250 which was also pretty much the rated value for the trip.

These results are a big improvement over my long term average of 300 - so it is good to know that there might not be anything faulty with my car overall. I think most of the improvement came from 1 and 3 above. I will go back to plugging in the Ownice and figure out its impact on usage.
I think my numbers were higher when I first got my car and got a bit better after a few thousand. Perhaps bearings and such settle in a bit.

I am near Somerville for reference so my drives are a bit rolling, Nothing flat as the shore nor hilly as northwestern NJ.

I bought a roof shade before going out west in June. I don't think I'm seeing any help there. And supposedly the heat pump is pretty efficient so that would be expected.

I have always used hold. I am currently trying out chill (I have boost). So far I'm not noticing any significant difference but I'm not trying to keep any accurate records either.

Up until now my lifetime would fluctuate between around 261 & 269. I think my Denver trip (which added 20-25% to my total mileage) killed that. I think the trip was in the 280-290 area. Right now I'm at 267.

I don't drive particularly slow but around here it's a max of around 50 unless I'm on an interstate which is not very often. So I probably don't get much of any speed / resistance penalty.

I do notice on a local drive that one hard acceleration will kill the m/wh on say a 10 mi round trip to the grocery store. By that I mean that I might see 265 - 270 rather than 245-255.

There was a rumor of Tesla bringing back a choice in regen. Don't know if they ever did as they did not take it away from those of us who already had it. If you have a choice make sure it is set to standard and not low.

If you are charging above maybe 90%, regen will be reduced so for the first n miles you'll be wasting energy when stopping. If you have the brake when regen is limited set to on you probably won't even notice that it is using the physical brakes (I didn't).

Mostly I wouldn't worry about it. You could make an appointment but I'm guessing they won't find anything as it isn't that bad. You seem lower than a lot of MYP reports if that helps.

244 Wh/mi after 12K miles of driving on mostly suburban streets with occasional highway driving (<10%). I have taken one long road trip ~ 1K miles and two shorter ones averaging 400 miles (all round trips so double the miles). I don't do jack rabbit starts except for the rare need for accident avoidance or on test drives for perspective owners or the curious, but these are of very short duration. I run the AC and/or heat as needed to maintain about 70 degrees F, and windows when nice. I have the original continental tires inflated to about 41 psi. The car specs are in my byline. My only tip would be to watch the top end speed, I almost never exceed 80 mph, and rate of acceleration. FWIW, I found a Wh/mi to MPGe conversion table at:

Last edited:
262 Wh/mi over the last 10k mi. I'm surprised it's not higher since it's well over 90° and even over 100° just about every day in the summer. Even now we're still seeing mid-80° temps. In the winter it gets down to the 30's. And at least 2/3 of the time we have our three 12 yr old boys in the car.

Where do you giys see the lifetime? Did you just not reset one of the trip odos? Or os there real lifetime numbers somewhere?
I dont know if it exists somewhere in the data that you can get using a third party app, but a lot of us just re named one of the trip odometers, as you said. I have one named "lifetime Do not Reset", but it actually starts about 3 weeks or so after I got my car as I didnt think of the idea myself and read about it here shortly after I got my car.

I am not aware of any way to get it using the standard tesla app, and I done use third party ones so cant speak to that.

Reactions: flixden
262 Wh/mi over the last 10k mi. I'm surprised it's not higher since it's well over 90° and even over 100° just about every day in the summer. Even now we're still seeing mid-80° temps. In the winter it gets down to the 30's. And at least 2/3 of the time we have our three 12 yr old boys in the car.
I read an article recently that claimed that cooling wasn't as bad as heating mainly due to the difference in temps. They were referring to heat pumps vs resistance heating but made the heating/cooling comparison that if you are at 90F you maybe drop 20 to 70 vs perhaps in the winter you're adding 50 to get from 20F to 70F. Makes some sense although I don't know if even with a heat pump heating is comparable to cooling.
Where do you giys see the lifetime? Did you just not reset one of the trip odos? Or os there real lifetime numbers somewhere?
like the others, I rename my trip B to lifetime and never reset it so.

Teslafi has a lifetime of sorts. You can see the total since you signed up. They may count it a bit differently but it's not too far off.
I have 579 miles more than they are accounting for but they have me using around 40kwh more than the car thinks. Seems high for rounding so maybe they count total electricity use (like sitting in the driveway running heat or AC) which I don't think the car does. But that might be a choice if you had signed up for teslafi or want them to start tracking because you don't want to give up the trip odo.

Just curious, what's your Wh/mi and how do you drive to achieve it?

Mine, after 7,000 miles is 265 Wh/mi. I thought I was doing pretty good, but I see some drivers in the 230's or even lower. What kind of driving do you do and how do you achieve it?

I drive mostly highway driving. 5 minutes of small town streets, 2 hours of freeway, 5 minutes of small town streets. Then I do it again in reverse. Very little stopping and starting. I use Enhanced Auto Pilot and like it most of the time. I typically drive 4 miles over the speed limit with the bulk of my driving being at 74 mph. I have chill mode turned off. I run A/C when I want and how I want, usually at 69-70 degrees. I don't typically accelerate aggressively. I think I usually drive like a grandma (sorry grandma's).

Is it as simple as driving slower? It doesn't really bother me that I'm at 265 wh/mi but I am curious if there are a few tweaks I could make to do a little better. Or if freeway driving means I will just have higher Wh/mi than city drivers. If it's just slowing down... I'm not sure if I have the patience to do that. it's hard driving at 70 and having everyone pass me going 75 or 80. :)

Any tips and what's your Wh/mi?

Thanks.
1CFBFAE2-FA24-49DD-ACDA-0E066C7E3644.jpeg

I’m getting 230 with 87k miles and avg speed of 73mph

I guess being in FL helps both with terrain and temp. Once in awhile I can get that on a drive or I could until I bought the Michelin Sport AS/4s.

But what is your lifetime Wh/mile?

Mine was about 261 but has crept to 269 with the new tires.

I also used Trip B to measure the lifetime of the 2 years of my Model 3, and when I traded it for a Model Y it was at 234 wh/mi. The first few hundred miles in the Y have been at 265 wh/mi.

I have a short stretch of 80 mph toll road and a balance of 45 and 70 mph roads. Instead of slowing down to save watts, I just obey the reduced speed zones in construction areas and curving mountain roads, unlike most other drivers. I removed the plastic wheel covers and don't adjust the cabin temperature beyond what I want. In 2 years I have never wished I had done it differently because I never got close to running out of power.

Just checking in on this thread again. I was super proud of my 265 wh/mi. Then winter hit. I'm up to 280 wh/mi average. I figured at the end of my first 12 months in Wisconsin I'll end up with a real work average of 280-290 wh/mi. Speed seems to be the biggest thing I can do to change/lower the wh/mi year around. Wintertime keeping the battery warm is a must. If I leave for a long trip with a warm battery the car does pretty good. But if I drive 3 miles to the office, and let the car sit in 25 degrees for 2 hours then make a long trip, it's a killer. In 25 degree temps I might get 330 wh/mi with a warm battery. But with a cold battery in 25 degree temps I might do the whole trip at 400 wh/mi or more. My trips for work are usually 150-300 miles. So it's significant. Also, my driving is almost always moving. Very few stops or slow downs. So my regen braking benefit is minimal.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I'm at 249 Wh/mi at 46K miles with TMYLR. Freeway 60%, city 40%. I use adaptive cruise control excessively. Level 2 home charging is 95% of my energy source. Was at 250 Wh/mi and higher until I notice my PSI was around 35. Once I bumped all fours to around 42 PSI, shortly after the Wh/mi dropped from 250 to 249.

Just checking in on this thread again. I was super proud of my 265 wh/mi. Then winter hit. I'm up to 280 wh/mi average. I figured at the end of my first 12 months in Wisconsin I'll end up with a real work average of 280-290 wh/mi. Speed seems to be the biggest thing I can do to change/lower the wh/mi year around. Wintertime keeping the battery warm is a must. If I leave for a long trip with a warm battery the car does pretty good. But if I drive 3 miles to the office, and let the car sit in 25 degrees for 2 hours then make a long trip, it's a killer. In 25 degree temps I might get 330 wh/mi with a warm battery. But with a cold battery in 25 degree temps I might do the whole trip at 400 wh/mi or more. My trips for work are usually 150-300 miles. So it's significant. Also, my driving is almost always moving. Very few stops or slow downs. So my regen braking benefit is minimal.
298Wh/mi here in CALI :)