Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHATS WITH THE FREAKIN LEAKIN COMPUTER SCREENS-RIDICULOUS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle can not be driven without the screen, so therefore it is just as much a part of the drive train as the motors, the wiring, the charging receptacle.

This is brilliant! I won't be buying another battery, or tires, or anything else essential to making any of my vehicles driveable.... It's all part of the drive train!! :rolleyes:

Tesla definitely knows about this problem and it's ridiculous they don't cover it. Idk what else needs to be said in this thread
I agree, but people keep posting. I can't believe the people that just don't care about it. If I bought a $144k car and it was leaking oil out of the rear main seal at 37,000 miles I would be pissed. I'm not pissed, just disappointed in the Tesla Hippies crappy attitudes. I think I'm beating a dead horse that would rather lose future customers than admit their phuque ups.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Four pages of utter nonsense but my new favorite terms for the week are:

toxic jiz[z]

gooey splooge

Sounds like something an indy band would name themselves in the 90's.

My choice to replace this piece of crap with a 2021 Cadillac Escalade that is actually $50k more than a loaded Cybertruck is based on the fact that Cadillac has a much bigger screen that won't leak because it is OLED!

I like the way the new Escalade looks and some of the tech is interesting (especially when compared to the Cybertruck) but I still think it's overpriced.

Also, I completely agree with the fact that the early MCU screens were complete trash (as are the MCU 1 memory chips). I can see there being an eventual recall but not for the leaking screens.

So aside from the leaking screens what else has this "piece of crap" cost you in terms of maintenance over the five or so years you have owned it? I'd certainly wager that whatever you paid out of pocket is less than what you put into other cars.

• Funny

I like the way the new Escalade looks and some of the tech is interesting (especially when compared to the Cybertruck) but I still think it's overpriced.

Also, I completely agree with the fact that the early MCU screens were complete trash (as are the MCU 1 memory chips). I can see there being an eventual recall but not for the leaking screens.

So aside from the leaking screens what else has this "piece of crap" cost you in terms of maintenance over the five or so years you have owned it? I'd certainly wager that whatever you paid out of pocket is less than what you put into other cars.

• Love
I bought a Maserati LeVante for my girlfriend and has the same mileage. Nothing but oil changes. This Tesla EATS tires about every 8k miles. Mystery vibrations at 37-43 and then re-occurs at 74-85 (doubles). Tesla says its the rims, but they've never been damaged. Had them checked out by the same tire company that sets up ZR1 and said that it's common problem with Teslas.

I'm tired bitching. It's really not as much the car as it is dealing with Millennials who don't give a rat's patout.

Image SPACE-X Astronauts on their way back from Mars. "Hey, Houston...we picked up some slime like ooze thats dripping out of our computers. It's getting on our space suits! " Ground Control to Major Tom; "Don't worry about it, we have known about it for years"

• Love
Setting aside for a moment the fact that you’ve created your own arbitrary definition of what constitutes a “drivetrain” that is at odds with every other manufacturer’s definition of such:

Once again, your car does not have an “8 year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty”. It never has. It never will. Your
Where is the freakin stop button for this thread?
In all seriousness, there’s an “Unwatch thread” button at the top of each page.

• Disagree
Don’t think anyone disagrees that the screen leaking, yellowing, bubbling, eMMC etc. aren’t legitimate issues. I think it’s the whole “I’m done with Tesla” because of it or that its part of the battery/DU warranty is what ppl disagree with. Growing pains from a new company producing a complex product IMO. Again, I was affected by the eMMC issue as well as bubbling IC so am not just armchair QBing this.

The screen manufacturer that supplies these screens that leak offered 5 different levels of build quality. From consumer grade to industrial grade. Elon went with the cheap ones. The vehicle can not be driven without the screen, so therefore it is just as much a part of the drive train as the motors, the wiring, the charging receptacle. Equivalent of a golf cart with out a "controller". Therefore, they should find coverage, and they will after I take them to court. It's just a shame that I have to do this, because I will have cancelled two future orders (2 Cybertrucks-one to drive and one to flip). So between this $144k pos and another 2 trucks that is about $300k in lost business.

Obviously, TESLA is making TOO MUCH money, because they just don't care about customer service and I worked at Ford for many years. Their attitude will come back to bite them in their ass!

Correct, here is the detailed analysis... Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

Tesla's decision to use a large display that wasn't tested to higher automotive grade standards had fairly predictable results. First the Model S and X screens were plagued by a bizarre problem that was clearly caused by thermal issues: bubbles would form on the sides of the displays and eventually leak a gooey adhesive material into the car's interior.

Intriguingly, a blog post at Mentor Graphics suggests that Innolux was struggling with thermal management on a screen for an unspecified "high end automobile," ultimately concluding that "defining the boundary conditions for Innolux’s system is the responsibility of their customer, not Innolux."

This was followed by another problem with Model S and X screens, which seems to have been even more widespread: the infamous "yellow banding" problem. This was similar to problems found on a number of touchscreen devices, from iPhones to Microsoft Surfaces, and it too seems to be the result of high thermal loads.

• Funny
I kinda agree with OP here in the sense that Tesla should have replaced what is essentially a defective part from the factory voluntarily.

That said, Tesla doesn't really sell 140k cars to survive any more, so they couldn't care less about customers from years back.

Also, Maseratis are unreliable heaps of garbage. Even compared to Tesla.

LoL, high priced FIATS or Low Priced Ferrari's with a little Chrysler thrown in for bad transmissions?

• Love