Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John Carmack is legendary in programming circles. Built iconic video games for 30 years (Doom, Quake, etc.). For the last 9 years, started Oculus (VR headset), quickly bought by Facebook, so continued on with Facebook developing their VR products.

I listened to a 5 hour(!) podcast of him being interviewed by Lex Fridman (link below). Super smart guy. On the level of Elon Musk for intelligence and ability (but not Elon's other intangibles like risk taking).

His latest tweet, announces the creation of a new AGI (artificial general intelligence) company, Keen Technologies that is closing on a $20M first round. It is at the term sheet stage.

He talks about the company here for about 10 minutes:

This is one I am going to pursue hard. My #1 investment interest is AGI, and like Carmack, I think the technology is within reach. About nine months ago, I pursued investment into another AI startup at the series A stage (Rain Neuromorphics) and got in on that $25M round. I'm going to start shaking the tree and see if I can weasel into this round as well. Minimum investment in these types of things is typically $250K to $500K.

If anyone has an entry into Carmack, Nat Friedman, Daniel Gross, Patrick Collison, Tobi Lotke, Sequoia Capital, the Capital Factory or Jim Keller, I'd appreciate a PM.

John Carmack is legendary in programming circles. Built iconic video games for 30 years (Doom, Quake, etc.). For the last 9 years, started Oculus (VR headset), quickly bought by Facebook, so continued on with Facebook developing their VR products.

I listened to a 5 hour(!) podcast of him being interviewed by Lex Fridman (link below). Super smart guy. On the level of Elon Musk for intelligence and ability (but not Elon's other intangibles like risk taking).

His latest tweet, announces the creation of a new AGI (artificial general intelligence) company, Keen Technologies that is closing on a $20M first round. It is at the term sheet stage.

He talks about the company here for about 10 minutes:

This is one I am going to pursue hard. My #1 investment interest is AGI, and like Carmack, I think the technology is within reach. About nine months ago, I pursued investment into another AI startup at the series A stage (Rain Neuromorphics) and got in on that $25M round. I'm going to start shaking the tree and see if I can weasel into this round as well. Minimum investment in these types of things is typically $250K to $500K.

If anyone has an entry into Carmack, Nat Friedman, Daniel Gross, Patrick Collison, Tobi Lotke, Sequoia Capital, the Capital Factory or Jim Keller, I'd appreciate a PM.
Word on the street is that this round closed and was fully subscribed. I suspect Carmack just made a few calls and got $20M pretty quickly. If he gets some traction, presumably the next round will be bigger and thus be open to more people.

Elon finally confirmed on the Full Send podcast this week that he does indeed own a Boxabl in Texas near Starbase.

This raises my belief in the Boxabl team’s credibility because they’d been hinting at this for a long time without any direct proof, so there was the possibility that they were just fabricating the story for social media traction.

Previously Elon had denied on Twitter that he lives in a Boxabl but said it is a “cool product tho”. Now we know that statement was technically true because he said that his prototype Boxabl is a guest dwelling for visiting friends but he lives in the preexisting traditional house he bought. Elon had limited comments about his Boxabl on Full Send but he said it “seems good” and clearly he must believe it’s good enough for his close friends to stay at.

Normally I ignore celebrity product endorsements but this one is pretty significant in my opinion, and will be even more so if SpaceX does end up buying these for rapidly deployable employee housing as the rumors say. I also think that if there’s seriously going to be a Mars colony where efficiency in material logistics and human labor are critical, then Boxabl’s strong, thermally insulated, foldable, easy-to-deploy design architecture would be perfect if tweaked for Mars. Starship has a 30ft diameter and so I think at least 3 folded Boxabls could fit in the available cross-sectional area of the payload bay.

Boxabl also recently used a portion of the investment fundraiser to begin work on their larger factory and they say their initial order for the US military is completed and now houses for retail customers are getting ready to ship.

I’m going to invest in Boxabl later this year if the funding round is still open and TSLA appreciates enough for my LEAPS to blow up in value. The big TSLA discount in the last few months is the only reason I haven’t chipped in to the Boxabl fundraising round already.

I haven’t seen anything since Tesla that has as much potential to quickly solve major global environmental and social issues while earning big money. They’re still early stage but the more I’ve researched them and analyzed their business model the better it looks. My notes and financial model are on this spreadsheet I linked when posting in April about Boxabl with a bunch of updates since then.

Not advice.

Boxabl discussion at 41:45:

Today is the last day to buy in this round. The company seems to follow Tesla-like first principles and their potential TAM is huge. I just invested, it's $20k minimum for accredited investors to buy at 0.76/sh or $1k minimum for non-accredited investors to buy at $0.80/sh.

Some people complain about the $3B valuation, but when was TSLA not "overpriced" to some people?

Again, not a tech stock, but an oddball mining company, The Metals Company (TMC). It's getting some buzz today, so search your favorite financial sites for more info. TMC is heavy into deep sea mining of manganese nodules. These nodules are formed on the seabed and are often rich in Co, Ni and other battery metals. Long ago, Professor of Geomicrobiology Henry Erlich turned me on to the mechanisms behind the formation of Mn nodules, so it's not like it's a new discovery. The challenge is to economically harvest them.

Again, not a tech stock, but an oddball mining company, The Metals Company (TMC). It's getting some buzz today, so search your favorite financial sites for more info. TMC is heavy into deep sea mining of manganese nodules. These nodules are formed on the seabed and are often rich in Co, Ni and other battery metals. Long ago, Professor of Geomicrobiology Henry Erlich turned me on to the mechanisms behind the formation of Mn nodules, so it's not like it's a new discovery. The challenge is to economically harvest them.

The Nixon administration was trying to get them mined but there was no mechanism to mine international waters. There are a number of places that form those nodules but most are just iron.

I've had some money in TMC for a year. It probably won't move much until they start commercial operations.

Second look at Nouveau Monde (NOU.V], the Quebec mine and refiner of battery grade graphite that made that funny video for Elon a couple of years ago? Tesla visited them recently as well as other battery cell manufacturers. Stock price looks decent considering their potential and latest mid August press release. 3x to 5x protential capital appreciation potential I think over a few years. Anyone else been following them?

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Second look at Nouveau Monde (NOU.V], the Quebec mine and refiner of battery grade graphite that made that funny video for Elon a couple of years ago? Tesla visited them recently as well as other battery cell manufacturers. Stock price looks decent considering their potential and latest mid August press release. 3x to 5x protential capital appreciation potential I think over a few years. Anyone else been following them?
Yeah, I like them a lot. There's some good info out there on them. They're very green with the Quebec Hydro and are working with Caterpillar to develop an entirely electric mining operation. They're also on the NYSE as NMG.

There's some good videos on them on Rock Stock's YouTube and I believe the Limiting Factor did one with them as well. They're similar to Talga Resources who I like a lot as well.

Didn't make sense to me either. Given the demand and focus on battery metals, and how much cleaner and less environmentally disruptive this technology is, it seems like it would have taken off a year ago.

It all depends on the economics. I don't think they've proven they can extract and refine industrial quantity metals at economic prices yet.

Reactions: bkp_duke and JRP3