Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think about Proterra call options? it is getting pounded and it seems that insiders are selling. It just hit the 52 week low. Under 2B market cap.

I would guess that's the 52 week low for the SPAC. Proterra itself has only been pubic for about 2 months. SPACs tend to hover around $10 and Proterra was around $16 just before the merger. It might just be a reversion to the mean.

Actual insider selling is not happening:
PTRA Insider Trading and Ownership (PetroTerra)

Unlike some other EV start ups, they have actually delivered something to customers. But it's a company that's still very young and even if the company has what it takes to survive, that is no guarantee.

The market in general is taking a big hit right now. September/October is historically more of a bear market time, but there are other factors spooking investors. Rumors abound that the fed is going to raise interest rates, though they have not made any moves to do so. The most heavily leveraged investors are profit taking to get less leveraged (and the panicked idiots are selling at any price just to get out).

The COVID surge is also making investors nervous that we're going to end up going back into a situation like March 2020. And there is real reason for concern. The vaccinated are doing OK with the Delta variant, but it's proven to be far more dangerous than previous variants for the unvaccinated. There is also fear that the virus will mutate again into something much worse than what we have today and what that will do the economy.

Most of my speculative stocks like Proterra are down at the moment. Some may tank over the long run, but most of the dip right now is from the market being spooked. Stocks in emerging tech are going to be the first ones dumped when investors get spooked about the economy.

I'm a relatively new investor, but I watched from the sidelines for years. My father was always into the stock market so I grew up with him always talking about the market. I observed a long time ago that market analysis is very good for long term investing. But it sucks for explaining the day to day fluctuations. For that Psychology is a better tool. On the short term, the market moves with emotion, not rational thought. If you can read the mood of the market, you can make money day trading.

I did a bit of that in meme stocks this summer. I made a little money and didn't lose any. On two stocks I made around 30% in a week, but most were only a few percent gains, mostly because I was still learning the game. I sold my last meme stock a few weeks ago. Too many people jumped in with different agendas and most of the stocks are going sideways now.

I remember back in 1987 when the stock market had the Black Monday nose dive. My coworkers who were in the market were walking around looking like they had eaten a bad clam. One guy (who I think was heavily leveraged) was in a panic. I called my father than evening to see what he thought and his attitude was that it was time to just hunker down and hold everything. The market will be back he said, and it was. I believe he bought some stock at that time too.

I've been selling a few stocks to get more liquid. If the market does go down more, there will probably be some bargains to buy. That's what Hetty Green did:
Hetty Green - Wikipedia

She lived too much of a miser for me. I couldn't be that level of frugal, but her stock strategy was sound for long term wealth building. She died with $100 to $200 million in 1916 (a few billion today), virtually all of it self made.

Reactions: gene and JRP3
Does anyone know much about the SPAC stock merger between DCRN and Tritium? Tritium is an Australian based DC fast charger manufacturer. They make most of the non-Tesla DC fast chargers we have here and they have chargers installed in 41 countries. With the cash injection from the SPAC deal for 30% of Tritium they plan to open a new manufacturing facility in Europe to expand further. DCRN has been trading fairly flat just under $10 and I believe it will eventually trade under DCFC. I'm not sure how well Tritium are known or regarded in other countries but it looks an interesting opportunity as they're one of the few established and dedicated fast charger makers.

Does anyone know much about the SPAC stock merger between DCRN and Tritium? Tritium is an Australian based DC fast charger manufacturer. They make most of the non-Tesla DC fast chargers we have here and they have chargers installed in 41 countries. With the cash injection from the SPAC deal for 30% of Tritium they plan to open a new manufacturing facility in Europe to expand further. DCRN has been trading fairly flat just under $10 and I believe it will eventually trade under DCFC. I'm not sure how well Tritium are known or regarded in other countries but it looks an interesting opportunity as they're one of the few established and dedicated fast charger makers.

This one is on my radar as well. I found it intriguing that Palantir (Peter Thiel) recently invested in Tritium.

Reactions: Chenkers
I have no desire to invest in Robinhood, but to see crypto trading explode like this and the SP to be down 7% on near term profit concerns is hilarious. How is 4k+% growth in crypto not exactly what you want in a recent IPO?

Wall Street so clearly makes bets prior to earnings calls then follows thru with the buying/selling plan regardless of what's announced.

Anyone know anything about Heliogen?

They generate high temps from focused solar mirrors for production of "green" cement.

Interesting, though I expect Rivian's stock will skyrocket after the IPO unless they price it too high.

Are you saying that you think $80B is too low?
Or are you literally saying that depending on the actual price of a share it will skyrocket? For example:
  • They issue 80 billion shares, priced at $1/each: Price skyrockets after IPO.
  • They issue 1 billion shares, priced at $80/each: Price doesn't skyrocket after IPO.
In both cases the value of the company is identical, and your slice of the pie/company is the same for every dollar you invest.

This is the same conversation around stock splits. In theory the 1-to-5 stock split Tesla did shouldn't have made any difference to the value of the company, but it seems like it did. (Maybe it just triggered more people to research Tesla, which caused them to invest in it.)

BTW: There is no way I think that Rivian is worth anywhere near $80B at this point in time.

Reactions: house9
Or are you literally saying that depending on the actual price of a share it will skyrocket? For example:
  • They issue 80 billion shares, priced at $1/each: Price skyrockets after IPO.
  • They issue 1 billion shares, priced at $80/each: Price doesn't skyrocket after IPO.
In both cases the value of the company is identical, and your slice of the pie/company is the same for every dollar you invest.

This is the same conversation around stock splits. In theory the 1-to-5 stock split Tesla did shouldn't have made any difference to the value of the company, but it seems like it did. (Maybe it just triggered more people to research Tesla, which caused them to invest in it.)

BTW: There is no way I think that Rivian is worth anywhere near $80B at this point in time.

If they issue 1 billion shares at $80 each at the IPO and there are few buyers the price will have to drop to sell the shares, which will bring in less than $80 billion. Those who did buy at $80 will lose money as the stock price drops.

I agree $80 billion does seem overly optimistic.

Reactions: house9