Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your charging situation for the Model 3?

What is your Model 3 charging situation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An electrician was at my apartment today to do a quote for 220V outlet installation. He said that he's going to pull a line from the point where the meter is. Sounds like a bit of a crazy talk to me, but I'm not an expert in this area, and am keeping my fingers crossed that this arrangement will work and apartments will be OK with it. His visit was arranged through the leasing office, so it's not going to be a complete surprise for them.

The guy appeared to be familiar with Tesla charging requirements - sounded like he did projects like this before. He even gave me a little speech about advantages of 14-50 vs 14-30 in terms of charging times. So, as I mentioned earlier, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this whole project will work.

I would need to know what on-board charger the Model 3 is coming with or if there is an option to get a larger on-board charger. If a 14-50 will max out the on-board charger, then there is no need to purchase and install a Tesla 80A wall charger. Rumors have been that people think the Model 3 will come with a 48 amp on-board charger. That sucks, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. So a 14-50 hookup would be adequate. If we can get a 72 or 78 amp on-board charger, then that knowledge is critical to determine if purchasing an 80 Amp Tesla charger is reasonable.

A 14-50 outlet will charge plenty fast enough overnight for almost anyone's daily mileage. No need to be able to charge at home at the max rate of your car's on-board charger. That extra charger power can be nice to have on the road, but few people need it at home. One exception would be people that only have a short 4-hour off-peak electricity window and a long daily commute.

Even a 14-30 outlet will be fine for anyone with electrical service that does not support adding a 50 Amp circuit for a 14-50. My HPWC is currently dialed down to 16 Amps (for 20 Amp breaker) and it is working well for me.

My advice to anyone getting a 3 would be to install a 14-50 and keep the UMC plugged in to it except for long trips. I also would dial the current down to 30 Amps, except for when I wanted to charge at the full 40 A. That should result in longer life for the UMC and the 14-50 plug/outlet.

GSP

I just shared this in a similar thread, I don't mean to x/post, but it's applicable here too, so I wanted to share.

We've been helping drivers out with their HOA and landlord negotiations for charging stations. If you're not comfortable asking your property manager, we also have a form you can complete and we’ll get in touch with them to discuss installing a charger. Now, if you are comfortable talking to them personally, we also have brochures you can download and share with the decision makers for your complex which should help you to educate them on the benefits of offering EV charging (at the same link). :)

I have a Leviton unit that I had installed with a 240V outlet when I was leasing my Nissan Leaf in 2013. Tesla store said that I should be able to use it with an adapter from them. I was also able to take advantage of the tax credit for the unit and installation in NJ.

My WC has arrived. Going to send it to our new house that is being built. fullsizeoutput_2bd7.jpeg