Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the RS-485 port for on a Gen 3 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Wall Connector installed (finally!). Reading the manual in detail now that I've got it up & running....

I see on p. 10 of the manual that I've got an RS-485 port inside. I gather from reading here that the Gen 2 connectors used it for load sharing? (Which function is allegedly "coming soon" via firmware update on Gen 3?)

Is the port active on the Gen 3? What does it do?

The "load sharing" software for the Gen 3 has not been released yet, so there is no way to know what if anything it will be used for. The Gen 3 load sharing is intended to be via WIFI, however it is plausible that they will allow a wired option as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
So I discovered a new Autel MaxiCharger AC 50A charger for pre-order that has an RS-485 interface built-in. It comes with a 25 foot cord and J1772 connector. I wondered if it would work with my MYLR which is on order with the adapter (of course).

That little connector serves NO purpose.
For the moment, the components (U12?) for that RS-485 interface are not populated ...
See this THREAD for more info & photos.

Interestingly the TWC Gen3 now supports "Dynamic Power Management" according to https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/power-management
The PDF talks about a "RS-485 Communication Harness".

How is that possible? Is there a new Gen3 hardware revision with the RS-485 components provisioned?

Any ideas @Sophias_dad ?

• Informative
Reactions: terranx
Interestingly the TWC Gen3 now supports "Dynamic Power Management" according to https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/power-management
The PDF talks about a "RS-485 Communication Harness".

How is that possible? Is there a new Gen3 hardware revision with the RS-485 components provisioned?

Any ideas @Sophias_dad ?
I would think that if they require a particular revision they'd have to mention it in the PDF. It is indeed possible that the RS-485 doesn't need extra components for all one bit per second(or whatever) transfer rate they need.

I'm just as surprised they didn't just use wifi for the connection. After all, the hardware is already there for sure.

Reactions: RichieB
@Sophias_dad Personally I think using Wifi (or a cloud service) for something as important as load balancing your power circuit is a terrible idea. Depending on your setup tripping the main circuit breaker might plunge your house into darkness until a technician from the local power company comes around to reset it. Using a wired connection is a lot more reliable so I am glad they made that choice.

@Sophias_dad Personally I think using Wifi (or a cloud service) for something as important as load balancing your power circuit is a terrible idea. Depending on your setup tripping the main circuit breaker might plunge your house into darkness until a technician from the local power company comes around to reset it. Using a wired connection is a lot more reliable so I am glad they made that choice.
Sure, but you could put a failsafe in there, like "Hey, I haven't heard from the load-checker in a minute, lets turn the amperage down to 0(or some other small number." I definitely agree the 'cloud' is not a place for this communication.

Hopefully even with the RS485 they still have a failsafe. You never know when someone's axe collection is gonna fall on a 20AWG signal wire or a rodent is gonna want a snack, or some numbnuts with a screwgun is gonna shred the wires, or whatever.

That, and I think most places have a master breaker that is user controlled(in the US, anyway) so the power company doesn't have to come flip the breaker back on. Its still definitely awful to get your whole home plunged into darkness/cold because you might be away at that moment(with your electric heat, clothes dryer, and Tesla charging, all at once).

Last edited: