Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is special about the delivery software? [firmware]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is special about the delivery software?

Seems that cars come with software that is not any of the versions that software updates deliver, since the second part of the version number is an odd number, rather than an even number like with update software.

Does the delivery software come with something special that is only needed before delivery?

Reactions: jiehan
Wondering the same...

Also I'm wondering why it takes so long to receive an update to the normal release train from this initial delivery software version? I'm currently on 2022.15.102 and it's been 1 week since delivery and I'm not yet prompted to upgrade to 2022.20 nor 2022.24 :(

I suspect there might be additional test logic used either during assembly or to verify all is good on the road the first few weeks.
It's possible that the delay is just to maintain stability during first drives and testing. Or maybe they just takr time before they add your VIN to the auto update system...

I suspect there might be additional test logic used either during assembly or to verify all is good on the road the first few weeks.
It's possible that the delay is just to maintain stability during first drives and testing. Or maybe they just takr time before they add your VIN to the auto update system...

I have no proof whatsoever, but I have always assumed that adding cars to the update server was some sort of "batch job" that only runs on a frequency measured in weeks. That would explain why some people report getting updates after they purchase within days, while others report it taking 5-6 weeks.

If its a batch job that they run every month (for example) or a couple times a month, to add cars to the update cycle, then those cars get triggered on a random sync time after being added to the server, it would explain why it appears so random.

It just feels like a sync job timing thing to me.

I have no proof whatsoever, but I have always assumed that adding cars to the update server was some sort of "batch job" that only runs on a frequency measured in weeks. That would explain why some people report getting updates after they purchase within days, while others report it taking 5-6 weeks.

If its a batch job that they run every month (for example) or a couple times a month, to add cars to the update cycle, then those cars get triggered on a random sync time after being added to the server, it would explain why it appears so random.

It just feels like a sync job timing thing to me.
My impression was that Tesla might want owners to have some time to become accustomed to their new car before changing things on them.

Data point: I took delivery on 8/1 and was updated to the then latest build the next day. I have updated maps data and software again since then. I don' think there is a consistent method to this process.

Then at the very least the special software could be necessary during assembly. It's possible that they run some tests while the car gets assembled that requires code solely for that... But until a Tesla employee tells us, we'll only be guessing.
Tesla told me when I bought my first one that it's a stable build with no major bugs and they want to start owners off with a good experience.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
I'm wondering why it takes so long to receive an update to the normal release train from this initial delivery software version? I'm currently on 2022.15.102 and it's been 1 week since delivery and I'm not yet prompted to upgrade to 2022.20 nor 2022.24 :(
Their software updates generally take weeks to roll out, with different cars on different release branches, so it can take more weeks to get a feature integrated from another branch. We're all beta testers.

The "advanced" setting might be a placebo.

Another purpose of the three digit new car factory software builds is that there may often be running changes, to deal with new suppliers, substituted microcontrollers as Elon explained last year, or whatever reason that makes the specific configuration different from any prior delivered vehicles.

Tesla needs a way to accommodate these new configurations so they can ship the cars even though existing released fleet-software builds don't have the modules for newly changed configuration in their config lookup tables.

If your car does not have any important configuration differences since the last general software update, then they can push the general fleet software to your car almost immediately. But if there were recent production changes requiring software customization, it may take a while for that to get Incorporated into the fleet software. In my case, it took about 7 weeks before I got my first fleet software update.