Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I learned about PPF/Ceramic Coatings and Tesla paint- the HARD way!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t realize the swirls were from the initial application!

This brings up an interesting question. We know you basically have to wet sand to remove it... but is it possible to polish the ceramic with an aggressive polish and then an additional application of the ceramic? Would that level out the swirls enough and then fill them in?

They used a special sander device to remove the ceramic and then reapply it. Then they had to wait for 2 hrs to then apply the EXO- or at least they were supposed to do that and I'm hoping they did.

My car looks great now except for a couple rock chips in paint under the PPF on the hood. I wish that would have been fixed like it was supposed to before applying the PPF but it's done now. I would have to pay to have it ALL redone at this point and I'm not going to do that.

They painted over the PPF and it looked ok when it was first done but now you can really see it. The paint didn't last on top of film and when they showed me what a touch up looked like under the film, it looked worse so there really is no real solution. Only way would have been to do a major paint correction (sanding off and repainting) before applying PPF. It is what it is at this point but I cringe when I see it.

HUGE learning experience. That is why I wrote it out for everyone else on the forum so hopefully you all don't have to go through it.