Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Pay First?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Picked up my Model YP on the 17th; spent extra for the Ultra Red so figured I’d protect it by hiring a company to install PPF. Beautiful car and the performance & tech are amazing .. love it!!

Long story short, after talking to the owner of a window tint company that does Expel PPF and agreeing on a price, I get a separate template-style text message for the appointment and on that message, a link to a webpage that states payment be made up front and is a variable of the total; I guess meaning when I return, their might be more due. Is it customary to shell out $5k+ up front, before seeing the completed PPF job? What if something’s wrong … they got my money so … sounds a little bait & switch style to me but that could be my ignorance with how paint protection businesses operate. I will say … this shop is a small one, though they’re affiliated with a known brand in the south east + Expel authorized. (May not have done my due diligence in choosing an installer, and possibly swayed by what “might” be cheaper than their better known competitors in the area.)

Thoughts on business practice to pay first? Common sense tells me to decline but - given I had phone and text conversations with whom I think is the sole owner, (nice guy and quoted price better than others) … just a little confused.

No paying them roughly 1/3 upfront is ok bc they have to fund parts. But be careful the more you do the more chance some will have to be redone unless they take a long time to do it. I did my whole car plus tinted windshield, sides plus roof. A few trips back to redo areas.

Reactions: NCRiderSW