Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking at the CPO website, is tesla really going to sell those 70D's with 50 miles on them for ~$2000 less than a new car with the same configuration? o.o

Of course. They are all brand new. 50 miles is a default number entered to take into account the few miles driven in the car between the factory and the dealership.

they basically built cars in advance, and made them available.

Same car, 2 few thousands less, same "new warranty", same taxes benefits. Why buy a custom car, unless you want a specific option.

People used to pay extra to cut in front of the line.

Of course. They are all brand new. 50 miles is a default number entered to take into account the few miles driven in the car between the factory and the dealership.

they basically built cars in advance, and made them available.

Same car, 2 few thousands less, same "new warranty", same taxes benefits. Why buy a custom car, unless you want a specific option.

People used to pay extra to cut in front of the line.
but the tax credit doesn't apply to CPO? or I guess since they're brand new they still count?

Assuming the CPO cars are disappearing, and we know there are announcements coming soon, I think it's more likely that they are retrofiting CPO cars with new improvements (AP2?) that will be announced on 3/31. That makes more sense to me than centralizing the used inventory.

Assuming the CPO cars are disappearing, and we know there are announcements coming soon, I think it's more likely that they are retrofiting CPO cars with new improvements (AP2?) that will be announced on 3/31. That makes more sense to me than centralizing the used inventory.

Highly doubtful they'd spend the time and effort to retrofit AP2.0 on any car (which isn't even a feasible option). Besides, AP2 is still just a rumor at this point.

My hunch is still that the CPOs are being held up to hold over model 3 depositors.

The recent announcement that existing owners get priority makes me lean a bit more this way. Like get a CPO in the mean time and you move up the list. Ferrari plays a version of this game already. Wanna buy a new 488? Unless your last name is Clapton they'll likely show you a 458 to get you started.

What are they going to do otherwise? Buy Bolts?

Maybe it's just an artifact of the search engine but it seems a bit fishy that no CPOs have been posted since December last year. These cars are somewhere and for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyphear
Latest statistics, 3/28/2016 (generated with my XanderCat OFE application)

Total records searched: 288

Count distinct occurrences -- cpoInv
Inv occurs 265 times
CPO occurs 23 times
Count distinct occurrences -- year
2016 occurs 232 times
2015 occurs 34 times
2014 occurs 19 times
2013 occurs 3 times
Average -- price
$110,723.44
Minimum and Maximum -- price
Minimum: $69,700.00
Maximum: $142,600.00
Matches for LESS_THAN 60,000 -- price
Matches for GREATER_THAN_OR_EQUALS 60,000 and LESS_THAN 80,000 -- price
Matches for GREATER_THAN_OR_EQUALS 80,000 -- price

Reactions: HankLloydRight
looking at the CPO website, is tesla really going to sell those 70D's with 50 miles on them for ~$2000 less than a new car with the same configuration? o.o

Who knows maybe some of those cars were ordered and for some reason or another, maybe someone lost their job between ordering and financing, and couldn't buy the car. So Tesla gets to keep the $5k deposit and sell the car for $2k less, and still comes out $3k ahead.

I know for a fact that the Toronto Lawrence service center and store has a number of inventory cars listed with slipstream wheels, and while there are older P85's on the lot not listed on the Tesla CPO site, there are ZERO cars with slipstream wheels.

So while the inventory cars are listed online, they aren't on the lot. Fishy.

• Helpful
Reactions: gsxdsm
I know for a fact that the Toronto Lawrence service center and store has a number of inventory cars listed with slipstream wheels, and while there are older P85's on the lot not listed on the Tesla CPO site, there are ZERO cars with slipstream wheels.

So while the inventory cars are listed online, they aren't on the lot. Fishy.
Perhaps they are in transit?

Guys, they speculation is great. But....

When they pulled all their CPOs and listed Inventory units, I was in the midst of hunting for a used MS. I called Tesla corporate and asked. Then I called my local DS, as I had a Model X ordered at the time and then I went to another SC with someone for a delivery. All three places said the same thing: CPOs were pulled to be used as loaners.

That made a lot of sense because Tesla was beginning their big push to get MX out. And, they needed loaners for all the MX owners due to the various issues that required more SC attention.

My guess is that within 3 months there will be a flood of CPO and used MS as the loaners are not needed as much and as MX deliveries will slow and as GRV cars are being turned in. JMHO

But, if you want speculation, I think that Tesla will build a new Ultra Theme Park at the former Space Shuttle landing strip at Cape Canaveral and use the abandoned hangers as a Mega Tesla Store. People will be able to fly into Orlando, watch a Space X Falcon liftoff, test and buy a Tesla Motors vehicle. The entire facility will be powered by a TerraSolar field installed by SolarCity that will eventually be used for a NYC to Miami Hyperloop. How about that? Oh, almost forgot that you can use PayPal for admission.

Last edited:
CPO's still disappearing for the moment (down from 23 on 3/28 to 11 today). Though there are rumors they may return in the near future.

I save a page from ev-cpo about once a week (started collecting them on 2/11 before the purge). If anyone has any particular type of statistic they would like for me to run, just let me know. Though I won't publicly run stats on the registered user data, so only the public stuff you can see without a subscription.

Latest stats:

Statistics for 4/7/2016

Total records searched: 284

Count distinct occurrences -- cpoInv
Inv occurs 273 times
CPO occurs 11 times
Count distinct occurrences -- year
2016 occurs 250 times
2015 occurs 24 times
2014 occurs 8 times
2013 occurs 2 times
Average -- price