Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you consider acceptable speed for increased range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to cruise on highways at about 5 MPH over the PSL. Usually use ACC and am in the RH lane unless passing.
Having driven I80 through Penn. quite a bit, there are many straight spans of turnpike.
When I see a truck pulling up from behind at overtaking me, well I hit my LH blinker and if the lane is
empty from behind me, I move over to the higher speed left lane to let the truck pass by slowly.
The truckers usually appreciate this and when they pass, you blink your headlamps to let them know that
they are clear and they will usually blink back as a thanks.

I think then that 65 MPH or there abouts for speed is a sweet spot for me and I would like
to have Tesla map their most efficient wH/mile efficiency for somewhere around that speed.

This isn't an answers to OP's direct question, but you can get a ticket for driving too slow. I don't know how slow is too slow at time.

In CA, most people are driving 5-10 miles over the speed limit. I think the more annoying thing is driving slow in the left lanes of traffic.

I know it's annoying to other drivers if they come up on me doing PSL+nn while I'm driving PSL-n to conserve energy. I know, because I used to be one of those other drivers, before owning a Tesla. :biggrin: But I can still be a good citizen about it, pulling over if there's no spot to pass (on the two-lanes) and keeping to the right lane on freeways. And as others have noted, there is remarkably less stress to me while driving slower in the right lane.

Here in Colorado we have a lot of scenic, two-lane highways, with long distances between slower charging stations (30A-70A 220-240VAC), which makes driving a bit slower than everyone else almost mandatory. The good news is that many of these roads are lightly traveled and present frequent passing opportunities. When driving these roads I'll almost always be at the speed limit +/-5 unless my next stop is an overnight and I've got a nice buffer of extra battery SOC to allow more spirited driving. I'm aways on the lookout for a big rig or a larger passenger vehicle who passes me going 5-10 mph faster than I am, at which point I'll pick a safe following distance and draft them for awhile. With TACC, I find a distance setting of 5-7 is a happy compromise; far enough back to avoid taking stones kicked up by the vehicle in front of me, yet close enough to derive some benefit from drafting. The problem is finding someone who's only driving 5-10 mph faster: out there on the open road most people are mostly going more like 20mph faster.

This is what the highway speed limit signs look like in Ontario, Canada:

download.jpg

It's amazing to me how many people see "maximum" and think "minimum" :smile: