Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do?

• Go for the Sun Power lease!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would jump into this thread to see if anyone could tell me if this is a good deal or not. We don't have the money to buy a system, so we were going to go with a PPA.

Solar City Proposal.png
Solar City Proposal 2.png

You only pay $0.113/kWh in TX?

If you're looking at it from a purely financial standpoint, I wouldn't think $6/month would be worth the hassle factor.
It seems that one of the most important variables in the "is it financially worth it?" calculation is the expected annual increase in the price of power. I don't know how accurate 4.8% is. If the reality is 10%, solar will be great. If the reality is 0%, solar will be lousy.

If you love the environment, it looks like solar will save you a few bucks and help slow the rate of global warming, so why not?

With such a small savings, though, I'd be tempted to wait and see if the price of solar drops more. If you wait two years, could you double your savings? up to you. For most people I know in CA, going solar is a clear financial win and a clear environmental win, so I encourage everyone here to do it.

You only pay $0.113/kWh in TX?

If you're looking at it from a purely financial standpoint, I wouldn't think $6/month would be worth the hassle factor.
It seems that one of the most important variables in the "is it financially worth it?" calculation is the expected annual increase in the price of power. I don't know how accurate 4.8% is. If the reality is 10%, solar will be great. If the reality is 0%, solar will be lousy.

If you love the environment, it looks like solar will save you a few bucks and help slow the rate of global warming, so why not?

With such a small savings, though, I'd be tempted to wait and see if the price of solar drops more. If you wait two years, could you double your savings? up to you. For most people I know in CA, going solar is a clear financial win and a clear environmental win, so I encourage everyone here to do it.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it's pretty cheap here compared to CA and we are able to look at different providers, the rates are going up however. It seems to me there won't be much savings either, but I do want to go renewable as soon as possible. Since I do keep up with the solar industry, and every year it keeps getting better and better, I am tempted to wait.....just can't decide when the jumping in point is......

The other thing is that we would be locked into this specific utility plan for 20 years and I will be getting an EV in the next few years. I've read on here a lot that lots of people get the free charging at night plan and so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of something like that. Does this even matter if we got the solar panels and had net metering?