Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I did it...made the CPO plunge for a 2015 P85D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...I finally did it, after years of drooling and wanting I plunked down my deposit for a 2015 Model S P85D.

The CPO process is interesting to say the least. It goes against common sense to buy a vehicle sight unseen based on grainy pictures that the average consumer would scoff at; however, throwing caution to the wind I did it anyway. So far my experience has been ho-hum with the time lag between inquires and reaching a live person left me wanting...I was a little frustrated with the lack of details regarding the car’s history other than what the Carfax report indicated (no accidents/one owner leased to a Corporation).

In order to ease my anxiety I called the local SC and asked them to lookup the vehicle’s repair history. As you know this is confidential info which can’t be released without the previous owners approval. However I was able to coax the service rep into confirming that no body panels or exterior components have ever been ordered for the car. So this made me feel better that I could somewhat confirm the vehicle was never in an accident. I know, a trivial matter, but it was important to me to look into this some more.

After months of searching the local markets I couldn’t find one that was reasonably priced for the 2015/16 production year. On top of that warranties were limited, or near expiring. Since I’m a heavy commuter I felt better knowing this vehicle had a healthy warranty behind it.

For a meager $51k my Model S P85D has 34k miles on the clock and comes with the following:

BUILD DATE
Nov 12, 2015. Has LTE and the V2 moonroof. Seems like this is pretty close to be considered a 2016 build.

EXTERIOR
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint All Glass Panoramic Roof 21" Grey Turbine Wheels

INTERIOR
Grey Next Generation Seats Carbon Fiber Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner

PERFORMANCE
Carbon Fiber Spoiler Tesla Red Brake Calipers

OPTIONS
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features Premium Interior and Lighting
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

LINK TO PICS

With that all said and done wondering how much I screwed up on this...for my local market it seemed like a good deal.

• Love
Reactions: bhzmark and P85_DA
Fair price with low mileage. I always find car mileage to be a double edge sword. Our first model S we have for approximately a year has 30K when we sold it. Our Model X we picked up September 2018 already has close to 13K. I feel like that's a lot of miles however. I see these low mileage older cars and wonder if the previous owners really enjoyed what they invested in.

It was something to do with the seals and cables in there. I have the V1 and there's a lot of chatter sometimes. The techs have told me that the fix is to take the roof out and trim something on the car and install all new everything.

Well...made the buy on 4/3, the Tesla team contacted me on 4/4 thanking me for the purchase and start the coordination process and they informed me the car is ready for pickup on 4/12.

In all pretty interesting process; hope the car is what the grainy pictures make it out to be.

Since I’m flying into Vegas to pick it up i hope i don’t have to walk home if the car doesn’t pass my inspection. This ought to be fun.

Reactions: P85_DA
Well it’s been a bit since I took delivery of the car—April 19th to be exact. Needless to say i was expecting the whole CPO buying experience to be a monumental adventure. My only compliant was the fact that the sales associate pushing paper in front of me prior to my inspection. Once I redirect her and told her I wanted to look the car over it was love at first sight!

The car was almost perfect...it was detailed inside and out—couldn’t d have been delivered any cleaner. The only real flaws that were observable was a few rock chips on the hood, but to be expected for a used car. The interior driver door grip handle and metal trim were dinged up some. Looks like a woman’s diamond ring was the cause for scraps and dings, but nothing to squawk about...in fact I could just replace the trim piece and it would be great again. Other than that the car was as expected—maybe better.

Flew out from NorCal to Vegas to pick it up. Gawked by the pool for a few hours at the beautiful ladies, then gambled, drank and had a steak & lobster dinner. The next day we drove to Hoover dam and did a tour and then drove home. Learned (from this forum) to supercharge just enough to make it to the next station is ideal with maybe a 15% reserve—had Some range anxiety right out the bat as I rollled up on the first Station with only 7%—didn’t account for the headwind and maybe elevation change. After that I Blasted home at an average of 85-90mph and the car drove like a dream.

Needless to say the whole CPO buying experience was a dream....I’d do it again in a heart beat!!

Wow- a P85D+. That must be a true unicorn! How long did they offer that config for?

Our March 2015 built Ludicrous P85D+ definitely seems to be a unicorn:
  • Plus Suspension
  • Ludicrous upgrade
  • NextGen ("Recaro") seats front and rear
  • staggered Arachnid wheels
  • every option except rear facing 3rd row seats
IMG_4896.JPG

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow- a P85D+. That must be a true unicorn! How long did they offer that config for?

Quick summary of the semi-unicorn Plus Suspension: #14

The date range for the possibility of the + suspension being included in P85Ds is December, 2014 through April, 2015, inclusive.

There are known examples of P85Ds in that time period that did not get the + suspension. Some had the PX01 code ("Performance Plus Suspension"), some had PX00 ("No + suspension"), and some had neither option code. Now chances are pretty good that most cars built between December and April do have it, but it's not 100%.

Also, most P85Ds sold during that time had 21" staggered rims/tires, but some had 21" square rims, and some others even had 19" rims WITH the P+ suspension. It really was a hodge-podge of parts and configurations until May, 2015 when Tesla dropped the P+ suspension for good.

Tesla didn't advertise the Performance Plus suspension on the P85D configurator like they did for the P85+, it was just a "specially designed suspension" for a short period of time

p85-jpg.300594

Full (lengthy) thread on Plus Suspension: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

Reactions: bhzmark
So what are you're impressions of the P85D and what did you drive before, if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking for a P90D(L), but look at P85D's as well. I'm struggling to be patient as I search for one.
Well I’ve always wanted a performance Model S for as a longs as I can remember, but $140K expense for a depreciating asset wasn’t a financial possibility. When the model 3s came out I thought this would be a better avenue to pursue in affording a Tesla but I just couldn’t get past the iPad like screen bolted to the dash like it was an afterthought. Then my boss bought a 2018 P100DL and ruined me for life after he let me drive it a few times...! After that I was on the hunt for a mildly used Model S; so I search and wanted for one tailored to my specifications.

I’ve restored a classic hot rod mustang, and stupidly sold it after 15 years of ownership, then moved into a 500hp modified SRT8 Charger that I too sold with great regret—both those cars were wicked fun to drive.

srt.jpg

I just grew a little tired of the constant tinkering modified cars required so I bought a 2018 CPO Ford Fusion hybrid in Platinum trim. That car was quite nice for a mid-sized sedan but the super efficient fuel sipper made me yearn for my performance vehicles...

I also drove into the ground my wife’s sedan that I racked some 250K miles; a v6 Optima Kia SXL (in back ground of the photo). That car only had timing belt replacements done and standard maintenance—it was quite the reliable car.

...fast forward to today and I think I found my unicorn sedan; full-sized with loads of power and can cruise in comfort. Hands down the best car I’ve owned to date for style, comfort and speed (doesn’t handle as good as the SRT8). The tech is great too so as long as reliability is as good as my last couple ICE vehicles i’d be happy to call myself a Tesla fan boy for life. Time will tell once this thing is out of warranty and I’m spinning the odometer at 25k miles a year—hope the HV battery and e-motors can be stretched out to make it to 300,000 miles. Making it past that would just be icing on the cake!