Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wayland Invitational IV Electric Drag Races!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tango throwing motor sparks (the driver was interested to get a copy of this video).

Edit - Jorg added the following comment to the video:
jorgbrown said:
Apparently the sparks happened during the "series/parallel switch", and aren't normally noticeable in a stock Tango, but for these runs, the controller settings were adjusted upward from stock settings, for racing purposes. In this run, the current limit had been adjusted up from 1,000A to 1,380A, the voltage limit raised from 159V to 180V. The resulting time of 12.874 set the new NEDRA world record for modified-production electric vehicle, for battery voltages from 192 to 240V.

Last edited by a moderator:
TEG, those are excellent clips and pictures. I especially liked your first video clip of you arriving at a warehouse. What was the deal with that? Did you just go there to recharge? Also, who provided access to that big transformer at the track?

TEG, those are excellent clips and pictures. I especially liked your first video clip of you arriving at a warehouse. What was the deal with that? Did you just go there to recharge? Also, who provided access to that big transformer at the track?

John Wayland invited the Roadsters to recharge at the shop where he works and he provided the NEMA14-50 panel at the track. He played gracious host and effectively "master of ceremonies" for the whole event. The people he works with were thrilled to see all those Roadsters arrive at their shop. The Roadster owners spent a lot of time chatting with them and taking pictures while the charging was being hooked up.

It seems he can be rather persuasive at getting people to loan him and his "crew" the things they need to pull off something like this. He must have a really good relationship with the people that own the local track.

This is great coverage of a seminal event. John has been laying the groundwork for this for a long time and by all reports it went beautifully.

Thank you all for a thorough detailing of the activities of this important milestone.

Wish I could have been there to take in the energy of this 1st time game-changing event.
A whole new group of gear heads (Drag Racers) were introduced to a stock electric car that will run with the best of them. They must also know deep down that once the Tuners start working on the Roadsters and buying Roadster parts that they will go home just as the EVs run into the night.

Someone should do a TM Blog post (with pictures and video) on the Event for posterity. TEG?

I think they prefer to have owners do that sort of thing.

Of course anyone who was there could do a writeup but if it has to be a Tesla owner then that might reduce the author pool. It seems to me that someone reporting on a significant Tesla Event might be a good fit for them regardless the source.

Maybe something for ABG

Seems to be a terrific event really wish I was there. I had outlined a long story on the LA Tesla Rally but Jeremy put one on the TM blog that pretty much mirrored mine.

Note, John's shop apparently had a temporary transformer installed that could give 240V to the Roadsters while charging. There was some discussion a while back thinking that the Roadsters needed 240V but in fact they can charge from 208V if that is all that is available. Still, the extra work to get the extra voltage was probably very useful in that the Roadsters were wanting to charge as quickly as they could. With all the driving and strip time many of the Roadsters were left doing runs at 3/4 or even 1/2 charge when they might have done a little better if they could have been kept at full charge.

I think this whole thing (and the Laguna Seca event) proves that it is possible to drive to a track and charge at a track using just MC240, but it takes a lot of planning and scheduling. Someday if they have HPCs at the tracks it would make things easier.

3784573334_35600f6461_d.jpg

Here are some of my pictures and videos that I uploaded from the Wayland Invitational...

Included are the drive from Seattle to Portland of four Tesla Roadsters on I-5.
The EV parade on Friday afternoon from the EV Juice Bar to the track lead by White Zombie.
The EV car show on Saturday.
Cars recharging at the EV Juice Bar Saturday afternoon before going back to the track.

Pictures:
Portland Trip with Tesla Roadster - a set on Flickr

Videos:
YouTube - PeakOilGarage's Channel

Rachel Konrad asked me to write about it for the Tesla Motors blog. I have my first draft done. It will be submitted in a day or two once I figure out which pictures and videos best summarize the event.

Excellent!
Feel free to use any of my uploaded pictures or videos although I think you probably have it covered already.