Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in footwells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, day 10 of ownership and car is at Tesla Service Center. They have been great so far. I discovered a large amount of water in the passenger and driver footwells during my hand car washing process. We had some rain last weekhere and I thought the driver side footwell was damp due to my going in and out of the car in the rain. However, it had not rained in 2-3 days and I noticed it was still damp. Low and behold, when I remove the carpet mats, there was a serious amount of water in the carpet. I would squish my hand on the carpet and my fingers would be covered with water. There was no indication of a leak in the windows, doors, glass roof or windshield.

Dried out the car lasts night to the best of my ability and called Tesla. Bypassed the robocall management and talked to a real person. They said to take it in to the SVC Center in the Morning for a drivability safety issue and they "had" to take me in. I did as asked and drove in at 8am. By 8:15 or so I was out the door with a loaner MS 85. The tech texted me that they had found the issue. "HVAC case condenser drain hose was kinked, preventing water from draining during A/C operation and dumping it into the floorboards". They were checking for any mold or any damage from this water.

Car is is "drying out" and should be ready this afternoon. I will make sure that there is no residual moisture etc.... Shame on me for not noticing earlier the extent of the water. I have seen this problem on other posts and figured this was the issue.

On we go....

J

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Water in driver foot well under the all season matt in Model S 2015 P90DL. Quickly dried and discovered 4 out of the six cabin air vents were closed by my 9 year old daughter which caused the condensate lines to freeze because there wasn't enough warm air blowing over them to thaw them. When I left the car sit overnight the condensate lines thawed and caused the water on the condensate lines to tgaw causing a pool of water in the driver foot well.

Solution; keep your vents open and point them away from your passengers if they're cold.