Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Heater - what should I get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently had powerwalls and Tesla solar installed, not active yet as awaiting PTO.

it turns out that my 80 Gallon Gas Water Heater is now leaking, should I replace with a like for like Gas replacement or go with a Hybrid / or electric?

No idea how the hybrid Works but I am looking for something that connects via wifi and detects leaks.

any tips/ guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Here is one thread on water heaters:

I have recently had powerwalls and Tesla solar installed, not active yet as awaiting PTO.

it turns out that my 80 Gallon Gas Water Heater is now leaking, should I replace with a like for like Gas replacement or go with a Hybrid / or electric?

No idea how the hybrid Works but I am looking for something that connects via wifi and detects leaks.

any tips/ guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Mine did the same thing. I ended up just putting a gas back even though maybe the wrong decision but

Hi, how does the RHEEM Hybrid work Does it support it both Electric and Gas? Does it require a larger dedicated 40/ 80amp Electric circuit?

Also if going electric route should I go with a tank? I Have the allocated space for it.

I can get my Gas 75 Gallon replaced today but want to make the right choice. I have three power walls and whole home backup with 17.5 KW Solar.

..Hybrid...
That might not specific enough.

Heat pump is my preferred method that transfers heat (from the ambient) and does not create heat (from burning fossil fuel or using electric resistive filament...)

It could have a backup heat source by a burner or electric resistive filament...

Since a heat pump takes longer to transfer enough heat, a tank is desirable to accumulate enough heat long before you use the hot water.

I think a 240V 30A would be good enough.

120V heat pump is coming this year but not sure if it's in time for you.

Hi, how does the RHEEM Hybrid work Does it support it both Electric and Gas? Does it require a larger dedicated 40/ 80amp Electric circuit?
in heat pump mode it transfers hear from the surrounding air like a reverse refrigerator. It only works off electric but only requires a 30 Amp circuit. The hybrid term refers to the ability to use a resistive element for faster recovery of tank temperature at loss of efficiency.
Also if going electric route should I go with a tank? I Have the allocated space for it.
Yes it only comes in a tank version.

Reactions: nwdiver

I can get my Gas 75 Gallon replaced today but want to make the right choice. I have three power walls and whole home backup with 17.5 KW Solar.

IMHO the Rheem HPWH is the best by a LARGE margin. A tanked water heater is also better because it can pull double duty as a thermal battery especially now that CA net metering laws are evolving.

There are A LOT of different options available. I think there are even 110v models now but typically they require a 30A 240v connection.