Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: v8 Cabin Overheat Protection feature NOT for pets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like people, if your dog is acclimated to that weather, they can be fine. I live in the desert. It gets up to 110 here and people don't die. It gets up to 104 in Europe and lots of people die. Because they aren't acclimated.
2003 European heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah but Palmdale is a DRY HEAT... :D Use to drag race there. Last year's LA-To-Barstow-to-Vegas race started there. Except it was freaking COLD. Like 25°F before daybreak, IIRC.

Yeah but Palmdale is a DRY HEAT... :D Use to drag race there. Last year's LA-To-Barstow-to-Vegas race started there. Except it was freaking COLD. Like 25°F before daybreak, IIRC.

Yes, the weather is wonderful here! Love the desert. I spent a few summers in Houston. THAT is hell on earth IMHO. 90% humidity and 105 degrees. Ugh. Air conditioning was literally a life saver down there. I have no idea how people colonized that area back in the day.

I think it was a clever idea, and surprised nobody thought of it. Our College Educated Politicos figured the solution to hot car deaths was give everybody a hammer and start breaking windows.

While in fact, the cars have been able to do something 20 years ago. The windows are controlled from a BCM, the BCM is always energized, and there is a interior temp sensor. When the temp gets dangerous, drop the windows an inch. If it continues to climb, the BCM can sound the horn. Applies to all cars with BCMs (all cars).

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.

It needs to be rewritten. I'm sure they didn't mean it was okay to leave your pets or children in a 105 degree car for hours. It does read like that though. They were probably thinking people have common sense, but not everyone does.

It needs to be rewritten. I'm sure they didn't mean it was okay to leave your pets or children in a 105 degree car for hours. It does read like that though. They were probably thinking people have common sense, but not everyone does.

^^this. It may not kill but it certainly is not a good idea to leave an infant in a 40 C car. It is simply preventative in a worst case scenario.

In 8.1 the temp will be configurable. But this wasn't designed for intentionally leaving people or pets in the car. For unintentional instances pets and people can survive a lot longer at 105 than 130.

Well Tesla seems to have sent out a press release that at least Electrek quoted. The Tesla press release says:

Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.​

There are at least two ways to read this, but it can easily be read that leaving a pet inside the car intentionally is safe with this feature. I don't think it is safe (if battery drops to 20%, it shuts off), or humane (105 degrees is way too hot for comfort, even if you could survive it for hours).

Electrek article: Tesla v8.0 software update is being pushed right now, all the details and full release notes

Nobody should accidently leave pets and humans unattended in a closed vehicle, but Tesla at least put a safety feature in that will give them a chance of survival. Other vehicles AFAIK lack this foresight.

nope - it is a great idea implemented all wrong and Elon just picked his favorite lotto ball number.
40C/105F is far too hot, the battery will last ages and your kids might even survive.

Tesla should make it 70F and flatten your battery every time you are dumb enough to leave your kids/pets in the car.
If you do it more than three times they should limit the charge rate to 1 mile per hour as a lesson.
- if they can do it for folks being dumb with AP then why not this too?

Now I dont know if US cars get interior ultrasound sensors. If so why not also supplement the feature whereby if movement detected in the vehicle whilst locked that the owner is sent an SMS, heck there's even a mike if you want a full-on baby monitor, after about 8 mins should be medium-rare. v8.1 could allow you set time-delay to choose how well done you want.
;)

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
nope - it is a great idea implemented all wrong and Elon just picked his favorite lotto ball number.
40C/105F is far too hot, the battery will last ages and your kids might even survive.

Tesla should make it 70F and flatten your battery every time you are dumb enough to leave your kids/pets in the car.
If you do it more than three times they should limit the charge rate to 1 mile per hour as a lesson.
- if they can do it for folks being dumb with AP then why not this too?

Now I dont know if US cars get interior ultrasound sensors. If so why not also supplement the feature whereby if movement detected in the vehicle whilst locked that the owner is sent an SMS, heck there's even a mike if you want a full-on baby monitor, after about 8 mins should be medium-rare. v8.1 could allow you set time-delay to choose how well done you want.
;)
The stupid thing is that each seat has a sensor, which at a minimum should be used to leave climate on.

Currently, if the driver steps out, closes the door and walks away (but leaves the fob in the car, with someone seated in the passenger seat), the climate control still turns itself off.

Nobody should accidently leave pets and humans unattended in a closed vehicle, but Tesla at least put a safety feature in that will give them a chance of survival. Other vehicles AFAIK lack this foresight.
The problem is Tesla did a bad job at communicating the accidentally part. They bascially straight ups say this feature will protect your kids and pets from overheating. But nothing along the lines "if you ever accidentally leave...in the car this feature will help..." or something like that. They don't sell it as some kind of ultimate emergency feature, but it rather sounds like a nice convenience feature. Maybe the feature should have had a disclaimer to no leave your kids and pets in the car.

The stupid thing is that each seat has a sensor, which at a minimum should be used to leave climate on.

Currently, if the driver steps out, closes the door and walks away (but leaves the fob in the car, with someone seated in the passenger seat), the climate control still turns itself off.

How do you know it's a person vs a couple bags of groceries or shopping items?