Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting Room for MYLR/MYP : May 2023 orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How funny! Two weeks ago I asked Tesla for a trade-in value as I was considering ordering a Model Y. They responded with $33,900 to $36,500. I ordered on May 31. Today, I received an offer from Tesla for the trade-in at $32,500. My vehicle is perfect, nothing in the photos showed any different. KBB just offered $35,900. Tesla doesn't want trade-ins. :)
This is very common. Tesla "baited" a trap with the higher ranges, then provided the lowball offer after the official trade-in request is submitted. Tesla has tons of reasons to prove it's not "bait", but to us it is. It appears that Tesla is the middle man to buy the car from us then re-sell to 3rd-party.

So, I need to calculate a few things - If planning to keep the same license, can I get the trade-in with 3rd-party then pick up MY on the same date? To trade-in with Tesla in NY will have some tax saving, need to calculate if 3rd party's offer has any advantage. And, my current lease has 2-months left, Tesla can buy me out, other 3rd-party can't, etc.

I couldn't get them to change. They said "trade values are not negotiable". I did Carvana, KBB, Vroom, and only one value was high enough to beat the trade amount (including the tax savings). The issue was, it was only 200 more, and that would have forced me to drive 2 cars to pick up my Model Y 300 miles away in Jacksonville since I would have to leave my trade in. Wasn't worth it for me.
How much time did they take from submitting the trade in to receiving the actual offer ?

How much time did they take from submitting the trade in to receiving the actual offer ?
Within a day. It ended up expiring as my car took over 30 days to arrive, but when they renewed it, I only needed to provide a new picture of my odometer, and they changed to offer down by 300.00. Still was the best with Tax savings. And it was incredibly easy. They moved the license plate over for me, inspected nothing, and trade was complete.

Reactions: retbesla
Within a day. It ended up expiring as my car took over 30 days to arrive, but when they renewed it, I only needed to provide a new picture of my odometer, and they changed to offer down by 300.00. Still was the best with Tax savings. And it was incredibly easy. They moved the license plate over for me, inspected nothing, and trade was complete.
If you don't mind me asking which car did you trade in with how many miles on the odo? Reading Alonzo experience I am worried that they will low ball me as well.

If you don't mind me asking which car did you trade in with how many miles on the odo? Reading Alonzo experience I am worried that they will low ball me as well.
2017 Chevy Silverado. 63500 miles. KBB is about 35K trade, maybe 39 for sale. But trying to sell at 40K car is different than a 5K one. Didn't want the hassle, and my offer with the tax savings was higher than any other cash offer I received from services. I more than likely, if I wasn't lazy, could have sold it myself for a higher value. But having done it in the past, it's a beating , and you get tons of "I want it", who never come back, low ball offers, etc. If the trade would have been really low, I would have either done the cash sale or private sale.

out of blue I got assigned a VIN, pretty sure it's a previously rejected one PF789538. I'm not going to take delivery until July 1st anyway due to new Colorado EV incentive, so will reject.
The reddit guy confirmed this for the VIN:
Born on 2023-05-27 7SAYGDEE8PF789538 AP version HW4 Matrix Headlamps. it's a good one, the timing just doesn't work for me.

When the original trade-in offer expired, did they automatically provide a link to renew it, only asking for the ODO picture?

When the original trade-in offer expired, did they automatically provide a link to renew it, only asking for the ODO picture?
I actually had to push a bit, only because my offer expired like 5.25 and my pickup date was 6/2. I was paranoid they were going to cause me a delay, so I texted back the original number that texted me when I ordered the car, and they contacted "the trade team". they reached out to me for the updated picture.

How do you identify matrix headlights? I saw a couple posts that make me think mine has them but didn't find 100% how to tell.

1686092204716.png

Do not trade in an ICE vehicle to Tesla. Despite the minimal tax advantage, you're much better off selling your ICE vehicle off to Vroom, Carvana, or Carmax.
Depends. Not for My Subaru, though. The tax savings cannot be beat for my car, even after they dropped the trade in value by $1000 when a month went by. In fact, Vroom would be the same purchase price as the current Tesla trade-in. But I am pissed about Tesla reducing the trade-in since I basically didn’t drive my car for a month AND KBB still shows the same trade value in as a month ago. Would sell private party if I could get KBB private party values(which would work), but that’s pretty to do here.