Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice recognition...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been working very well for me, I've texted myself entire paragraphs of text for work email while driving without having to fix much after the fact. I'm in the US though, and, while English is not my native language, I don't have much of an accent when compared to the generic American English.

Haven't driven much of late, but voice command to call a contact or adjust a car control (e.g., fold/unfold mirrors) still works fine for me. Were you perhaps in a mobile dead/weak spot that could have hindered the ability of your voice command to get processed? Maybe retest from different locations? Also may be worthwhile to test voice control of the car ("open glovebox", "turn on/off fan", "fold mirrors") to see if voice command in general isn't working or if it's specific to placing phone calls.

One more thing: Are you pressing and releasing the right scroll wheel before you speak your voice command or are you pressing and holding the wheel while you speak? It should be the former.

This is not ment to be inflammatory in any way, but OP how heavy is your accent? I have very few issues with most voice recognition systems released in the past few years understanding my words. now, sometimes you have to figure out what words they want, if they dont understand full "natural speech".

I have also seen people with accents (specifically non american ones) have issues with the same systems I dont have issues with... especially people with heavy accents who are still speaking english.

TL ; DR, OP are you sure its not just you / your accent?

He he - the posts made me smile. i'm just about as English as they come. Born in London, currently living in Essex. I haven't re tried yet as spells in the car are rather rare atm. I'll have another go and use some other commands. I was surprised though when it didn't recognise 'Call...'

It’s total pants for me too.

Doesn’t understand “call” no matter how I say it.
Doesn’t understand people’s names.
Doesn’t understand navigation destinations.
It’s totally pointless which is a shame because 6 months ago when all you could use it for was to call somebody it worked 95% of the time. Now it’s about 5-10%

U.K.

It’s totally pointless which is a shame because 6 months ago when all you could use it for was to call somebody it worked 95% of the time. Now it’s about 5-10%

U.K.

Yep, just tried again, complete pants. I got a different word on the screen each time I said 'Call'.

U.K.

Mine went blank on me the other day as well. Solution for me was to turn car completely off for a few minutes, reboot, and reconfigure iPhone with blue tooth. All good after that.

Done that many times. It works for a while then it’s back to being rubbish.

My native language is (American) English, but I turn sub-titles on when I watch shows from the mother country ;). In my limited observation, you Brits sometimes mumble - though you do write quite clearly :). Please take this as an affectionate bit of whimsy, as I am actually quite the Anglophile - and have distant cousins in the Midlands. Yay ancestry.com and 23 and me. My serious suggestion is to schedule an appointment on your Tesla App. And, it may just take the next firmware update to sort it out... Good luck - and enjoy the car.

I was disappointed when the command “open butthole” stopped working a few versions ago to open the glovebox. I was playing around recently and assumed like most systems it only worked with a very specific command but was wrong. You can say “open the fu*k1ng glovebox” and it works! You can insert any word you like before glovebox. Fun times in the car with kids!

So far going great for me. Mostly I have been using for directions, calls and adjusting the steering wheel (I set it lower than I usually have it when letting the autosteer work as it's a more comfortable position, so will yell at it if I want to adjust it back up and take over and vice versa.

This one cracked me up years ago though.

• Funny
Reactions: Nvbob
Have now received my Model 3. Loving it BUT as others have said over many months/years the voice recognition is rubbish. Doesn't understand 'call' doesn't recognise names, locations. The only thing I get it to consistently understand is 'my feet are cold' which is what was used in the demo when I did the test drive....I guess Tesla have to make that work. Is there not a way to train the voice recognition as with other voice control systems such as Alexa, Siri etc.?

Would love to love ALL the features in the car, but sadly not loving this so far.