Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visit to Tesla Dadeland store and test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
To help ease the waiting, I just visited the Tesla Motors store in Dadeland (Miami, Florida) Dadeland | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors

Despite being after the normal time for test drives (only until 6pm), I got a test drive (as if I needed it!), and it was as awesome, as the first time was! This time I had a white 60 kWh with pano roof, and I just felt ... it has plenty of oomph, no need for the 85, or even the performance! Apart from the range, anyway.

I floored it a few times, when possible, but this time I was more focused on how smoothly I could drive it, and to explore some of the functions I had only been reading about. Easing on the accelerator, the car starts ever so gently. I wish HK drivers (taxis, buses and so on), would appreciate C O M F O R T a little more, and in this car, there is really no excuse for driving in an uncomfortable way. You can drive it like a limo or like a sports car, it's all up to the driver.

Played with the sunroof, tried to drive it with and without creep enabled. On a flat, with creep OFF, it will stop using regen around 2 mph, then keep going slowly forward - so you will have to use the brakes if only a little. With creep ON, I'm not sure what speed it goes at, possible 5 mph? It's good that you need to use the brakes even if a little, so they don't corrode or get stuck, from never being used. I am sure I will use full regen, but not sure yet about the creep, if I like it or not.

They only charge the demos overnight, that is plenty for the x amount of 5 mile test drives they do in a day. And that is even for the 60. As it's evening here - yesterday :) - I got to plug it in, after we drove it, so it will be ready for tomorrow morning.

I couldn't make any video or take pictures of the test drive (company policy), while it wasn't any problem when I test drove an 85 in San Francisco, on 1-1-2013. I do have a picture of the car I drove, as well as a (somewhat unsharp) picture of the charging station. They had to use an adapter cable, something about the charger being made for the Roadster initially (Mark?). You can see the adapter connected to the black charging cable in picture #2 below.

We talked about locking the cable - at the moment, there is no option to choose to unlock the cable at a certain charge level. If the cable was long enough, one could imagine a parking lot where one cable could serve 2-4 spots. If I get home at 10pm, I'm not going to come back at 2am to unplug, so someone else can use it. THIS is going to be an issue, and having an option with "unlock after XX%" charge" would be a great update (Tesla Motors Software Engineers, are you here?). Of course, this wouldn't work with an adapter, as anyone could steel it, once it unlocks. Serviced car parks, I wonder if there could be some separate "unlock charger" key of some kind, which the parking guards could use? It's not easy. And if using an adapter, the adapter itself could be unplugged from the charger, I guess. Wouldn't that be a problem, with sparks and stuff, and the car suddenly being unplugged without being "told" first?

Thank you Nathaniel and Markeem from TM Dadeland, as well as Max for calling ahead and arranging a test drive!

Finally, here are some pictures:

01 Tesla Dadeland - Charger_.JPG

02 Tesla Dadeland - Tesla model S 60 - charging_.JPG

03 Tesla Dadeland - Apparel (Ladies)_.JPG

04 Tesla Dadeland - Design studio_.JPG

05 Tesla Dadeland - inverter and motor_.JPG

06 Tesla Dadeland - What is under the frunk_.JPG

07 Tesla Dadeland - empty battery bay_.JPG

08 Tesla Dadeland - Shopping for apparel_.JPG

09 Tesla Dadeland - from the back of the store (pano)_.JPG

10 Tesla Dadeland - from the side of the store (pano)_.JPG

11Tesla Dadeland - from the front of the store (pano)_.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks DITB, nice report!
After watching below video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQvra_3684
i decided to go for the 60 instead of the 85...use the difference of 60k on the options instead!

I didn't get the 85 for the speed or acceleration, I got it for the range mainly, and that it includes supercharging. Sure, distances in HK aren't huge, even if you drive from one end to the other. Charging facilities will be a problem, and a larger battery means less worries about when to charge next. I expect to have at least a 13A charging point by the time I get my car, so although it's slow, I don't mind, as there will be days I won't be driving at all, and hence the car will have a full charge, most of the time.

Here is another way to see the Tesla Motors store in Dadeland (made using Bubli for iPhone):

http://on.bubb.li/196652aqt7ec8b9zoiqgg9e

They had to use an adapter cable, something about the charger being made for the Roadster initially (Mark?). You can see the adapter connected to the black charging cable in picture #2 below.

Finally, here are some pictures:
View attachment 47828
That charging station is the Roadster High Power Wall Connector, made by Clipper Creek. It delivers 70A at 208VAC or 240VAC depending on what is available at the site. The orange cable is the Roadster HPWC to Model S Adapter. Most of the publicly installed Roadster HPWCs (not at Tesla facilities) were converted to J1772 and most Roadster owners carry the J1772 to Roadster adapter these days. You can see these adapters and products at the US Tesla Store site.