Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A minor unit niggle:

Addition: There is a new row in the Trip property table. In addition to displaying the starting and ending value for Range, SOC, and Odometer, it now displays an estimate of the power consumed in the selected trip (or trips). This is purely an estimate. It is not a value reported by the car, but rather a rough integration of area under the power curve that you see plotted in the Graphs Tab.

I realized this today when the feature was mentioned: the estimate would be of the *energy* used for the trip, since that's what you get by integrating the power over time.

A minor unit niggle:

I realized this today when the feature was mentioned: the estimate would be of the *energy* used for the trip, since that's what you get by integrating the power over time.

Oops.

The Trips tab displays the correct units (kWh), but has the wrong label (power instead of energy). I'll fix the UI and the documentation in the next release.

Once you get a chance to try it, please let me know if the estimate is in the right ballpark.

Thanks,
Joe

I seem to be saying "oops" a lot. In my haste to get a release out before TMC Connect, I didn't notice that the signing process failed for the Mac release. That means that VisibleTesla looks like its form an unidentified developer. Sorry about that.

I rebuilt it properly this morning and replaced the released file. If you had trouble, please download the newer version. It's the same link as before.

Thanks to Ian for pointing this out to me this morning.

Joe

Speed notification

Hi Joe, I just started using your app last night. I'm not a techie, and your app is pretty powerful. Thanks for allowing us to use your app. There are still a lot for me to read all, but. I came upon the Notification tab, and I'm curious to know what's the purpose of email notification about speed when I'm not driving? This app only works on desktop, right, and not in-car app, or for iPad, or mobile devices?
Secondly, since I just started downloaded your app last night, how long does it take to collect past data such as vampire loss, or it can only start to collect data forward after the app was installed?
Thank you so much for your wisdom!

Hi Joe, I just started using your app last night. I'm not a techie, and your app is pretty powerful. Thanks for allowing us to use your app. There are still a lot for me to read all, but. I came upon the Notification tab, and I'm curious to know what's the purpose of email notification about speed when I'm not driving? This app only works on desktop, right, and not in-car app, or for iPad, or mobile devices?
Secondly, since I just started downloaded your app last night, how long does it take to collect past data such as vampire loss, or it can only start to collect data forward after the app was installed?

svorchid, the app has no way to collect prior data. In fact the app has to be running to collect data at all. The idea is that you start the app on your computer (usually at home) and then head out in your S. While the app is running it will receive data from your S. When you return you can view the data. Clever folks can VNC (or similar) to their home computer and view the data while away.

svorchid, the app has no way to collect prior data. In fact the app has to be running to collect data at all. The idea is that you start the app on your computer (usually at home) and then head out in your S. While the app is running it will receive data from your S. When you return you can view the data. Clever folks can VNC (or similar) to their home computer and view the data while away.

Thanks Bugeater.

On the question of speed notifications, there are a couple of potential use cases:
  1. Someone else may be driving your car (kids, valet, etc.). You can get a notification if they're driving too fast.
  2. You can set a notification that will alert you if the speed exceeds 1 miles per hour. Why? At the recent TMC Connect event someone was asking for a notification if the car is stolen. I can't get information from the alarm system, but you can get a notification if the car is moving when it shouldn't be. Let's say you park your car at the airport for a few days while you're traveling. Set a notification for speed exceeding 1 mph and you'll get a notification if someone takes your car.
There are probably some other use cases, but #1 was the primary reason I added it.

Joe

Rank noob here: I downloaded VT on my Mac; to run it the program prompts me to enter my credentials. When I get nowhere fast in that department, it tells me to use my email address. So I've tried the two I normally use, plus my normal suite of passwords....but nothing avails. Where did I go wrong?

Rank noob here: I downloaded VT on my Mac; to run it the program prompts me to enter my credentials. When I get nowhere fast in that department, it tells me to use my email address. So I've tried the two I normally use, plus my normal suite of passwords....but nothing avails. Where did I go wrong?
Maybe this is obvious, but you need to use the same credentials that you use on the TeslaMotors.com site when you log in to view your dashboard or profile. If you have used the smartphone app, it's the same credentials.

Duhhh...thanks, A. Not that there's an immense hurry, as the Model S is 3,660 miles away.

But then again, who knows what the m-in-law is doing while the mice are away? Only The Shadow...and VisibleTesla....know!

Hello,
I just had a factory retrofit completed, going from the P85 to the P85+ and also adding the factory parking sensors. One issue is that while the car shows the new capabilities, Visible Tesla does not.

Is there a way this can addressed?

Last edited:
When I try using this at home, it works fine. But when I try to connect from via proxy, I get this exception:

Jul 31, 2014 5:25:51 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla login
SEVERE: null
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getInIfOpen(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at us.monoid.web.AbstractResource.fill(AbstractResource.java:44)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.fillResourceFromURL(Resty.java:432)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.doGET(Resty.java:388)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.text(Resty.java:241)
at us.monoid.web.Resty.text(Resty.java:271)
at org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper.text(RestyWrapper.java:102)
at org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla.login(Tesla.java:139)
at org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Tesla.connect(Tesla.java:191)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.LoginController$AttemptLogin.call(LoginController.java:197)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.LoginController$AttemptLogin.call(LoginController.java:183)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController$IssueCommand.call(BaseController.java:292)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController$IssueCommand.call(BaseController.java:283)
at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1259)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

When this occurs, I get a dialog mentioning that my login failed.

Trying to kick it off via java -jar VisibleTesla.jar on Ubuntu via OpenJRE v1.7.0_13 running Visible Tesla 28.01

Ideas?

I have a suggestion for the scheduler UI:

Here is the scenario: We took a longer day trip, and the standard night charging time set in the car that works for most days at home would not give enough time for a daily charge. So I used VT to set a one time charge start at 1:00 (am). I didnt' realize that the last time I used that particular entry in the scheduler I had set it to charge for a trip (100%) instead of the car default, so I got an unintended trip charge out of that which I'm trying to avoid, as most of us do. The issue is that the scheduler entry doesn't give any hint of that.

So here is the suggestion: Can the "+" button for additional options be updated to reflect whether there is a non-default option set, i.e. different color, bold, "++" or whatever. That way one would be prompted to look at the options instead of assuming the default. Even better would be a tooltip that would pop up when hovering over the scheduler line that spells out the action scheduled to happen, or some other way of displaying that.