Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Viewing Sentry Videos on MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't seem to be possible on our 2017 MX MCU1 and I have to view the videos on the computer is that right?

I put an 8 gig thumb drive in the USB port and formatted it and beyond that I don't know what to do next. If I'm right about the above I guess I just have to pull it and plug it into a computer and see what video player I might need.

From a technical standpoint, the hardware that determines if your Tesla can record video to a USB drive, is the Autopilot computer (only Autopilot 2.5 and 3.0 computers can)... BUT since the feed from the rearview camera goes first to the MCU and then to the Autopilot ECU (with the other 7 cameras is the other way around), the MCU becomes the bottleneck of the process, so the Sentry and Dashcam features are completely unusable with MCU1.

Also regarding your question, only MCU2 has the built-in Dashcam/Sentry viewer, which allows you to see the recorded footage right there inside the car.

Anyway, all this to say, DEFINITELY get the Infotainment Upgrade from Tesla. It's worth every penny!

Thinking of future resale value of my car, I also got the radio update in order to keep FM and satellite radio but it turned out I use FM radio more than any other audio source while in my car, so it ended up being better for me 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: Falcon73