Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Jasper trip planning - looking for feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

Planning a 10ish day road trip from Vancouver to Jasper at the end of August/early September and wanted to check in with anyone that might have done this route in an AWD 3.

Current plan is to overnight in Kamloops, then leave to Valemount the next day. I'm also considering a Level 2 top-up at 1 of the 3 rest stops on BC Hwy 5, likely Wire Cache for an hour just to stretch and add some 30-40km in the back pocket. Not sure if you can hike around there or if there is anything else interesting?

At the moment we're considering staying at the Best Western in Valemount to visit Jasper (budgetary restrictions), they have 1 Suncountry station which you can't reserve which we plan to use if available. Looking at plugshare the Valemount-Jasper corridor does not offer much charging opportunities outside hotels and the Library at Jasper, all of which are L2 and we're concerned that if we don't get timely charging we might waste the little vacation time we have.

I'm open to suggestions or having my assumptions corrected if necessary.

Many thanks.

Just did a round trip to Kelowna and back.

Definitely recommend downloading some tunes for those areas of no connectivity mentioned.

Lots of hotels will have level 2. It’s getting more common. So I wouldn’t worry too much.

My PlugShare recommendation is to look at charger details. I’ve run into a charger or two that were only 3kw. They are very useless for our bigger batteries unless you’re on overnight.

With the temperatures out at the moment, plug in anytime you can just to keep the cabin cool as long as you aren’t blocking anyone else.

There’s a cute coffee shop in Hope and the Merrit supercharger is well placed with a highway exit. (I travelled with a kid, so more stops then necessary)

Enjoy the trip and let us know how it goes!!!

It’s a weird piece of advice I’ve shared a few times. I’ve travelled across North America (Canada and USA) several times now, and that’s one of my top recommendations.

Podcasts, audiobooks, and light coloured shirts.

I used to recommend a backup GPS and roadmap, but now you can load offline maps into google maps, and the Tesla maps work offline.

After much deliberation with my partner in crime, anxious about doing time due to range anxiety, we're going to take the route through Golden, Lake Louise, then North through 93.
The concern still remains about charging in Jasper since we can't afford the Fairmont (went all in on the 3 :D). The Library has a single level 2 but a second backup option would be good to have.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and will give you points towards a full day in clown heaven :D

Looking at the details on plugshare site.. There 2 Tesla charger locations at Jasper Park Lodge, One location is "visitor parking' (which also has a J1772 from SunCountry). You could probably charge there and if you feel unsure go in to main lodge and ask. Have a drink/meal/walkabout while you wait for a charge.. One user commented it was charging at rate of 40klm/hour PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper also has a Tesla and J1772 charger

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: iMoe
I don't see an indication in the Plugshare descriptions for the Fairmont L2 sites that it is required to stay there to use the plugs.

There is an L2 at the Yolo Visitor Center in Field. You could stop there and wander the center, or have a meal at Truffle Pig (great burger, no breakfast) just to have some extra when you arrive in Jasper. Need BC Hydro app or card to activate.

• Informative
Reactions: iMoe