Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a tick list or something to guide me through buying a nearly new model 3?

For example - is there a VIN or something that will tell me what the spec is and if there are any upgrades.

Does it come with anything else? I’ve read about a USB - where should this be and what’s on it?

Should it also have a wall charger? Any other adaptors?

Anything else that’s in the original ‘package’?

For example - is there a VIN or something that will tell me what the spec is and if there are any upgrades.
Yes, see Tesla VIN decoder.

Many 'upgrades' on a Tesla are software, and can be purchased at any time. If someone is selling with Full Self Driving, Enhanced AutoPilot, Premium Connectivity, Acceleration boost I would look at the screen under Car .. Software. For example here you can confirm that my car has Full Self Driving and Lifetime Premium Connectivity

1644317193627.png

Does it come with anything else? I’ve read about a USB - where should this be and what’s on it?
The USB was provided by Tesla for the new center console from late 2020, before then everyone bought their own, there is nothing particularly special about it (and Tesla use a commodity Samsung drive anyway). It's used to stored recorded video from the Sentry Mode/Dashcam. With the new console it's located in the glovebox.
Should it also have a wall charger? Any other adaptors?
No wall charger, that's always been a separate purchase, most but from other chargers as there is a (soon to end) government grant that doesn't apply to Tesla. There is a UMC, this is a changer you can plug into a regular 3pin mains socket and charge very slowly, it's generally known as a 'granny charger' as you might use it when visiting relatives. It's worth having and keeping in the car for emergencies. It does have module connectors, so you could get from Tesla a connector for other countries, or to connect it to more industrial sockets, for a very short time on the earliest Model 3's in the UK they included the 16A commando connector, I think that stopped early in 2020.
Anything else that’s in the original ‘package’?
A 4m 3 Phase Type 2 cable was provided by Tesla, but it was a generic make not Tesla specific. It's useful to carry so you can charge at some slow chargers in car parks that generally don't have cable fitted (faster chargers all have their own cable). I've used it once in 2.5 years, but if you don't fit a home charger you may well need it to charge at a pod point etc.

Very early 2019 models came with a mat in the frunk, not after, and there should be a tow eye in the floor underneath it. There's a first aid kit thing. Tesla don't supply anything to change tyres or to refill them. There used to be an unbranded little cloth to clean the screen, not sure if that's still a thing. 2x keycards.

Reactions: s88ats
Yes, see Tesla VIN decoder.

Many 'upgrades' on a Tesla are software, and can be purchased at any time. If someone is selling with Full Self Driving, Enhanced AutoPilot, Premium Connectivity, Acceleration boost I would look at the screen under Car .. Software. For example here you can confirm that my car has Full Self Driving and Lifetime Premium Connectivity

View attachment 766308

The USB was provided by Tesla for the new center console from late 2020, before then everyone bought their own, there is nothing particularly special about it (and Tesla use a commodity Samsung drive anyway). It's used to stored recorded video from the Sentry Mode/Dashcam. With the new console it's located in the glovebox.

No wall charger, that's always been a separate purchase, most but from other chargers as there is a (soon to end) government grant that doesn't apply to Tesla. There is a UMC, this is a changer you can plug into a regular 3pin mains socket and charge very slowly, it's generally known as a 'granny charger' as you might use it when visiting relatives. It's worth having and keeping in the car for emergencies. It does have module connectors, so you could get from Tesla a connector for other countries, or to connect it to more industrial sockets, for a very short time on the earliest Model 3's in the UK they included the 16A commando connector, I think that stopped early in 2020.

A 4m 3 Phase Type 2 cable was provided by Tesla, but it was a generic make not Tesla specific. It's useful to carry so you can charge at some slow chargers in car parks that generally don't have cable fitted (faster chargers all have their own cable). I've used it once in 2.5 years, but if you don't fit a home charger you may well need it to charge at a pod point etc.

Very early 2019 models came with a mat in the frunk, not after, and there should be a tow eye in the floor underneath it. There's a first aid kit thing. Tesla don't supply anything to change tyres or to refill them. There used to be an unbranded little cloth to clean the screen, not sure if that's still a thing. 2x keycards.

Thanks so much, this is very comprehensive :)

Didn’t realise the USB was blank
Also, daft error I know it doesn’t come with a wall charger - I meant cable! But thanks for saying it should come with a basic one, I’ll probably need that till I get a wall charger installed.

I’ll get a VIN too to check out some further details.

Thanks again

Grilla has pretty much covered it but the same website as the vin decoder also have this guide to understand what options a car has (options in the sense of versions of hardware and whether software options are turned on etc) . A common misunderstanding is "Full Self Driving Computer" which doesn't mean the car necessarily has the FSD software enabled