Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stick - issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, any advice on what stick to use please? I have a really tiny stick made for Tesla but streams badly - music keeps breaking up. (That stick which cost a ruddy fortune is now lost somewhere on the floor!) Another generic stick has the same problems and a 64GB Sandisc is not even recognised!

I reckon that 70% of music on my sticks that do not work properly is not recognised.

I wonder if the USB method of listening to music simply does not work or if there is a way to get more music to play and more of the time.

Any help MUCH appreciated as I live in a very poor area for wifi reception (UK!) so need my music!

I use a low profile Sandisk Ultra Fit. inconspicuous, and works well for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLEODCK

BTW @nowtleft - you mentioned your "music keeps breaking up" - what exactly do you mean?

are you getting "Loading errors" when playing songs on USB? if so, that's a longstanding bug in the USB music player (see this long thread for more details). in a nutshell, I've found that .M4A (AAC) music files on USB will have random loading errors. MP3 files work fine. Bug reports on this and other audio player problems are ignored by Tesla and remain unfixed for almost a year...

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
No I either cant see a whole folder or whilst playing there is a slight jump in the music - I presume while the file catches up. It is annoying to say the least with a "premium" sound system! I long to be able to put a cd in!

First thing to try is a console processor reboot (by holding down both of the steering wheel scrolling buttons).

The console processor is running multiple applications, and gaps, pauses or jumps in the media player could be caused by other applications interrupting the media player and affecting the audio.

If you're seeing the issue on several USB devices, another place to look is the file format you are using. While other formats may have been audio, the media player seems to play MP3 files without issues.

I've noticed recently Bluetooth audio playback issues - with periodic pauses in the audio stream. Stopping and restarting the audio app on my smartphone seems to fix the issue - though this might also be related to the USB audio issues the OP is reporting.

While there are USB/media player problems - for most people - most of the time - the media player is working.