Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usb-C ports in front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here. You can see I have stuff plugged into both ports.
20210705_183656.jpg

Weirdly, my OnePlus phone will not charge from either of the in-console USB-C ports (refreshed console)--it keeps connecting and disconnecting about once per second. Interestingly however, it charges just fine in either of the ports for the back seat, and my partner's older Samsung phone charges fine using the front ports. It's not a big deal, I can just snake the cable to the back seat ports in the rare situation that I need it (my phone also does not have wireless charging sadly).

Weirdly, my OnePlus phone will not charge from either of the in-console USB-C ports (refreshed console)--it keeps connecting and disconnecting about once per second. Interestingly however, it charges just fine in either of the ports for the back seat, and my partner's older Samsung phone charges fine using the front ports. It's not a big deal, I can just snake the cable to the back seat ports in the rare situation that I need it (my phone also does not have wireless charging sadly).

The front ports are data transfer as well as charging, your phone is probably requesting you to give permission to link up as a USB device and kicking out of charging, then trying again and again over and over.

Keith

Reactions: Greg007
The front ports are data transfer as well as charging, your phone is probably requesting you to give permission to link up as a USB device and kicking out of charging, then trying again and again over and over.

Keith

@Fourdoor that's possible. I'll try again at some point. I thought I had the USB setting in the phone set for charging only actually but possible I changed it "temporarily" for something and forgot to set it back :)

Another dumb question.

When I plug my USB-a drives (with a USB-c adapter) into these front console ports to listen to my music (Just music, nothing else), it all shows up on the screen, but I get 'Error Loading' when I play any song.

Today I plugged them into a Model S (USB-a) and they worked perfectly.

Also tried plugging them into the USB-a Sentry Port in the glove box with the same 'Error Loading'.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone use a USB Drive for music in the '21 Model Y, and what kind are you using?

Another dumb question.

When I plug my USB-a drives (with a USB-c adapter) into these front console ports to listen to my music (Just music, nothing else), it all shows up on the screen, but I get 'Error Loading' when I play any song.

Also tried plugging them into the USB-a Sentry Port in the glove box with the same 'Error Loading'.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone use a USB Drive for music in the '21 Model Y, and what kind are you using?

Does the Model S allow different formatting of the drive perhaps? I don't know myself, just throwing out a possibility.

Keith

Reactions: Hamrhead
Another dumb question.

If you look at my photo, you'll see that one of the ports has a USB C to A adapter and then a tiny Samsung USB thumb drive attached for music. I just formatted it in windows to whatever is the default format before putting my music on it

If you look at my photo, you'll see that one of the ports has a USB C to A adapter and then a tiny Samsung USB thumb drive attached for music. I just formatted it in windows to whatever is the default format before putting my music on it
You need the format the drive to exFat or Fat32. ext4 works fine too since the OS running inside the Tesla is Linux. The default file format windows uses is NTFS, you’ll need to use another tool to format your drive (people who use windows can help you such tool).

Just tried reformatting my drive to both exFat and Fat32 with no success. Still Loading Error.

Would the type of drive I'm using make a difference? SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16gb. Cheap, but it always worked in other cars.

Last edited:
Just tried reformatting my drive to both exFat and Fat32 with no success. Still Loading Error.

Would the type of drive I'm using make a difference? SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16gb. Cheap, but it always worked in other cars.
Weird, it looks like this flash drive is USB 2.0. You will not be able to use this drive for sentry mode, but you should be able to use it for music. The last thing I would try is a different USB-C to USB A adapter.

plug the drive into your car. Somewhere in the car's menu is the option to format the drive.

Car settings under “Security” > “Format USB device”.

Format it in the car. Unplug it and then put it into your computer. Delete the teslacam folder and add your music. See if that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourdoor
Same result - 'Loading Error'

In the Safety & Security section you can reformat the USB in the glove box port. So I did.

Brought it back in the house and plugged it into the PC, where I erased the Tesla Cam files. Then reloaded some music. Same result.

I do appreciate the ideas - Thanks.
Weird, it looks like this flash drive is USB 2.0. You will not be able to use this drive for sentry mode, but you should be able to use it for music. The last thing I would try is a different USB-C to USB A adapter.
If it matters (?) I can plug the USB into the Sentry port in the glove box (No Adapter) and still get the same results.

Exactly which Samsung USB drive do you have?

If that could possibly solve my issue, I'd take a chance and buy one.