Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance's new PFC bake pads.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mparsons

2021 M3P Unplugged Performance
Dec 12, 2020
Lakeside CA
When I heard Unplugged Performance (UP) recently switched over to PFC for their brake pads, I decided to try out the Street & Track pads. Here's my post Autocross review of them. The CarboTech XP8's I've been running for street & Autocross have been acceptable. They have a ton of initial bite and require a minimal amount foot pressure to bring them up to threshold braking. On the con side, they don't modulate very well, they're frequently squeaky, and single tire lock up was not uncommon. I was looking for a little more modulation and a lot less noise. I installed the UP pads, bedded them in, cooled them off and put the car away for the night. When I drove the car in the morning I was really surprised. They had less initial bite than my XP8's but the modulation was so good I could compensate with a little more foot pressure and then I noticed the magic. The pedal had a very connected feel to it and it was buttery smooth. It felt like really expensive brakes, kinda like a Porsche or Grand Sport Corvette. The icing on the cake was how quiet they were, not a squeak out of them. I didn't know how they would do in Autocross but on street conditions they were golden compared to the wimpy stock pads that I was able to overheat on my original test drive when I bought the car (COVID no salesmen). The true test was at the next Autocross. Between my co-driver and I we racked up to 24 laps on them in on Saturday. In a word, they were awesome! With all the modulation I had less one wheel lock ups. They didn't require any heat up. Far less brake dust. They had an excellent feel and VERY quiet! I couldn't be happier.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rodney! and GSP
As someone that AutoX's on 1+ minute tracks with 90 MPH top speeds and does 20+ runs a day, I've never run into any fade with the stock pads, or uneven per-wheel braking. I generally mange FTD and can turn the rotors blue. You may have just experienced green fade on that test drive. Did you ever run the stock pads at AutoX, or did you throw them out for the Carbotechs before you tried?

Still have half my stock pads left, but considering options as they'll likely be shot by end of year. $590 for a set of street pads is really steep though, wish these vendors wouldn't charge quite as much Tesla tax. Do you know what PFC compound UP is using?

When I heard Unplugged Performance (UP) recently switched over to PFC for their brake pads, I decided to try out the Street & Track pads. Here's my post Autocross review of them. The CarboTech XP8's I've been running for street & Autocross have been acceptable. They have a ton of initial bite and require a minimal amount foot pressure to bring them up to threshold braking. On the con side, they don't modulate very well, they're frequently squeaky, and single tire lock up was not uncommon. I was looking for a little more modulation and a lot less noise. I installed the UP pads, bedded them in, cooled them off and put the car away for the night. When I drove the car in the morning I was really surprised. They had less initial bite than my XP8's but the modulation was so good I could compensate with a little more foot pressure and then I noticed the magic. The pedal had a very connected feel to it and it was buttery smooth. It felt like really expensive brakes, kinda like a Porsche or Grand Sport Corvette. The icing on the cake was how quiet they were, not a squeak out of them. I didn't know how they would do in Autocross but on street conditions they were golden compared to the wimpy stock pads that I was able to overheat on my original test drive when I bought the car (COVID no salesmen). The true test was at the next Autocross. Between my co-driver and I we racked up to 24 laps on them in on Saturday. In a word, they were awesome! With all the modulation I had less one wheel lock ups. They didn't require any heat up. Far less brake dust. They had an excellent feel and VERY quiet! I couldn't be happier.
Did you have any experience with these in the rain? It's about 5-10C here and in the rain I've found the Unplugged Street and Track to be a bit "mushy" off the top. I've put in a note with them to see what might be up but was a bit surprised at this since they advertise "more bite" rather than less. It finally stopped raining so I'll be able to give it a proper go without rain to see if that's the problem or at least contributing to it. Almost need to swap to stock pads for winter and run the S&T pads in the summer if that's the case. Running with MPP upsized rotors and did a proper bed.