Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity - probably only worth it when listening to USB FLAC or good mp3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its $2500. If your source is mostly talk radio on am or satellite, UHF seems a bad value. If your source is lossless flac or a high bit rate streaming music of some kind it sounds like UHF has been improved over the original studio sound and may be a better value for those who care.

I checked out the 2 Tesla sound system options, but initially for a different reason.

Over many years, I have transferred most of my music collection into 256 kbps mp3's and onto a 32GB and 64 GB USB thumbdrives. I did A/B comparisons between the original .wav and different bit-rate encoded mp3's until I couldn't detect any difference between them. I did the comparisons using a high quality home sound system, and arrived at the 256 kbps rate. I have organized them into individual folders, such as 60's, 70's, Christmas, artist name alphabetically, albums, and even Current Hits (BUT they are duplicated in multiple folders). Therein lies the rub.
My other car also plays USB media, but it was problematic. It is due to the media players handling of folders. When my other car scans the USB drive, it generates the play list, either including NO other folders, or including ALL other folders.
When playing, it would play the song it found in the 70's folder, then repeat it from the artists folder, then play the next song, which might be the Christmas song, and the do the same scenario through the approx 7000 entry playlist.
So, when checking out the Tesla, I carried the USB stick into the Rocklinstore and asked them about how Tesla handles this. The guy admitted it had never come up, and we jumped in and tested it. Worked Great! Tried playing several songs in the UHF sound system car. I was impressed. They didn't have a standard sound car there that day, but I was able to conduct my comparison a few days later with a standard. It was night and day for me.
I knew I would be spending quite a bit of my time in the MS, so I ordered the UHF system. Other than the tech package, it's the ONLY upgrade I HAD to have.

Scotty