Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber, Lyft Drivers Switch to Teslas as High Gas Prices Squeeze Profit (ripped from headlines)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The beginning of the mass migration.

Uber, Lyft Drivers Switch to Teslas as High Gas Prices Squeeze Profit

(Bloomberg version)

This raised my eyebrows.
Her new ride is also a hit with passengers. “They’re a lot more generous,” Barnes said. “Usually I’m lucky to get $1 to $3 tips but it’s now $10 or $15, sometimes consecutively.” In total, she netted over $2,600 during her 25-day rental, more than double the $800 to $1,000 she typically made from driving the “Beast,” (her Camry) according to screenshots of earnings she provided to Bloomberg.
According to Gridwise, an app that helps gig workers manage their trips, the number of ride-share and delivery drivers who opted to hop behind the wheel of a Tesla jumped 186% in May compared with last June.The Tesla trend also comes at a time when Uber and Lyft Inc.
Since launching its partnership with Hertz in November, Uber has seen more than 15,000 drivers rent a Tesla.
Persistently high gas prices and resurgent demand for ride-hailing has created the ideal conditions for a Tesla — a car considered affordable mostly only for well-off buyers — to be within reach for Uber and Lyft drivers. But the math only makes sense if demand for rides remains elevated. In May, average transactions per customer at both Uber and Lyft increased 15% compared with last year, according to Bloomberg Second Measure, and the summer travel season typically benefits ride-hailing.
More exposure, more customers, faster migration to BEV.

Last edited:
There is a Supercharger in Sacramento which is $0.12/ kWh less expensive than anywhere else in town. While I was charging there about 9 months ago I bumped into an Uber driver and he couldn't stop talking about how owning a Tesla was the only way to make money as a driver for hire. That was about $1/ gallon ago.

The more you drive, the more you save. This is doubly the case in city driving.

Reactions: MontyFloyd