Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Needing to buy a longer charging cable for my M3. Will be exclusively for home use on a single-phase 7kW charger.

Any recommendations for online sellers, or is it easier just to pay the premium for the Mennekes version directly from Tesla? Needs to be 7m+ but 10m probably too long.

Thanks!

Buying a single phase cable should be far lighter and easier to position that the Tesla 3 Phase cables. I got one from EVChargeking, however I would note that their 'Tesla Button' has now failed twice, had to send it away to be fixed the first time, can't be bothered again. I would buy from them again but not bother with the button.

Just realised my Podpoint tethered cable is only 4.8m and whilst that was perfect for my i3s, my incoming Tesla M3LR has the charge port on the other side of the car.

Looking at the Podpoint cable itself there are the usual 3 wires for L,N and E but there is also a red signal wire.

Podpoint themselves do a 7m cable and I may need to go through them to keep up warranty I can’t see anywhere that sells the four wire cable.

Alternatively I can perhaps get my charger resited to the front of my house thereby using all cables I have at present.

I had hoped it’d be an isolate, screw off the cover, swap out the cable job.

Rarely easy is it.

Just realised my Podpoint tethered cable is only 4.8m and whilst that was perfect for my i3s, my incoming Tesla M3LR has the charge port on the other side of the car.

Looking at the Podpoint cable itself there are the usual 3 wires for L,N and E but there is also a red signal wire.

Podpoint themselves do a 7m cable and I may need to go through them to keep up warranty I can’t see anywhere that sells the four wire cable.

Alternatively I can perhaps get my charger resited to the front of my house thereby using all cables I have at present.

I had hoped it’d be an isolate, screw off the cover, swap out the cable job.

Rarely easy is it.
Or try an extension cable?

Might work out cheaper and easier

Reactions: Katic1972
You can buy the cable here;

Or, you can buy a longer cable with a type 2 connector (with a tesla button) one end, and bare ends the other end, so you could wire it in to your existing charger and also have the convenience of the Tesla button;

Luke

@Katic1972 and @spooksman

What @LukeUK said above.

I bought a Tesla button pigtail cable for my PodPoint from EVChargeKing and installed it onto my tethered PodPoint. I mentioned to EVChargeKing that it was for a PodPoint in an email (but I'm not convinced that mattered) and a 4 wire cable is what turned up... Direct replacement in the Podpoint as you described: isolate, terminal blocks and done. Actually technically I blagged a PodPoint engineer to replace it foc while he was there fixing my broken PodPoint but having watched him do it, it was as easy as I/you guessed and I would happily do it again myself.

9107E4E7-3754-41B3-BECC-33E2804F3F11.png

@Katic1972 and @spooksman

What @LukeUK said above.

I bought a Tesla button pigtail cable for my PodPoint from EVChargeKing and installed it onto my tethered PodPoint. I mentioned to EVChargeKing that it was for a PodPoint in an email (but I'm not convinced that mattered) and a 4 wire cable is what turned up... Direct replacement in the Podpoint as you described: isolate, terminal blocks and done. Actually technically I blagged a PodPoint engineer to replace it foc while he was there fixing my broken PodPoint but having watched him do it, it was as easy as I/you guessed and I would happily do it again myself.
Do you have a part code or link to the actual cable you ordered? One of the links above seems to show more wires than is needed. It should be FOUR for a Podpoint. Live, Neutral and Earth plus one for signal.

The signal feed tells the pod point how much charge the car can take (obvs up to the max rate of the unit etc).

I’ve got a single phase 7kw standard pod point at home.

Do you have a part code or link to the actual cable you ordered? One of the links above seems to show more wires than is needed. It should be FOUR for a Podpoint. Live, Neutral and Earth plus one for signal.

The signal feed tells the pod point how much charge the car can take (obvs up to the max rate of the unit etc).

I’ve got a single phase 7kw standard pod point at home.

That link/photo is the one I ordered. It simply turned up with the right number of wires/a different version from the picture. I was slightly concerned with the picture too but all worked out fine. Drop Erwin (the owner) an email confirming you need 4 wires and it's for a PodPoint shortly before or after you order for reassurance perhaps? He's been super helpful to me and others in the past I think.

Full disclosure I've had to replace one Tesla button already (after just 2 summer months) on my cable (it's a super easy job if you're comfortable soldering - 6 screws, cut two wires and solder new ones on). Erwin said he had a bad batch which let water into the button and caused a short which drains the battery inside, which prevents the button working, but he's improved the production process to address this on latest batches. He sent me a replacement free of charge and gave detailed instructions on the website.

Reactions: Katic1972