Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two sets of tires without having to goto service center to program TPMS????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 15 minutes it takes me to swap a set of wheels is about 5 minutes less than it takes me to rotate the tires. Only have to use one jack to swap. Plus when I get back, I get to put them back on rotated so the swap time credits me labor for the rotate time when swapping back.

Impressive. Takes me about an hour to swap four wheels. I have a small garage and have to turn the car around to change each side. Also, how old are you?

Impressive. Takes me about an hour to swap four wheels. I have a small garage and have to turn the car around to change each side. Also, how old are you?

Hank, do you have an electric impact driver? That can speed things up a lot.

I'm not sure I could do a full change in 15 min, but back in my track going days I used to budget about 45 min to do all 4 sets of brake pads on my Boxster. The impact gun and only having to jack once per side made all the difference.

How do you only jack once per side? Where are you placing the jack to get both wheels off the ground? It takes me about an hour to rotate mine. I use a winter tire when rotating my summers front to back. Of course I also clean the rims from the inside during the process. But no way can I do it in 15 min.

Hank, do you have an electric impact driver? That can speed things up a lot.

I'm not sure I could do a full change in 15 min, but back in my track going days I used to budget about 45 min to do all 4 sets of brake pads on my Boxster. The impact gun and only having to jack once per side made all the difference.

So yea, if you're going to do it in 15 minutes and have time to properly torque each wheel *after* you've let down on the ground, you need an impact wrench. I have a 5 gallon compressor. On the floor jack, I use a hockey puck at the battery lift point.

When putting the lugs back on, screw on by hand for at least a few turns and then it's ok to use the impact at the lowest setting to snug them up.

Finish off each wheel with a 3/4 inch torque wrench star pattern twice. Also, the lugs on the Tesla need to be some rediculous 105 lbs of torque(they've changed it at least once).

When you're done with everything and the impact hose is rolled back up and the gun is put away, torque the wheels one last time in case you missed on. Leave the torque wrench out, because you'll want to do it one last time after driving for 10 to 20 miles. So if you're going on a trip after swapping, make sure you swap one you still have an in town errand to run or something.

Takes me 20mins not including cleaning the wheels I am putting away.

I use a Ryobi 18V cordless electric impact wrench and a 3/4" manual torque wrench for finishing it off.

First, using a breaker bar, I take a 1/4 turn off all the lugs before jacking anything up. Then, I do one corner at a time. Jack up the car to clear the wheel of the floor. Impact wrench to take the lug nuts off. Wheel off, wheel on, hand start each lug. Impact wrench to snug it all up. Repeat 3 more times.

Ryobi Impact wrench maxes out at 100lbft. And a quarter turn with the torque wrench is the extra 25-29 pounds. Done. Put the tools away. Put the wheels away. Done and done.

As with so many things...its all about the tools.

How do you only jack once per side? Where are you placing the jack to get both wheels off the ground? It takes me about an hour to rotate mine. I use a winter tire when rotating my summers front to back. Of course I also clean the rims from the inside during the process. But no way can I do it in 15 min.

No the point is that when swapping sets of tires I only have to do one tire at a time and only *have* use one jack. If I'm rotating, then I have to use two jacks. But when I swap the set back, I can still just use one jack but put the 21s on after my trip in the rotated position.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the lugs should be torqued to 129lbs not 105.

Thanks. I always double check because I know they've changed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Takes me 20mins not including cleaning the wheels I am putting away.

I use a Ryobi 18V cordless electric impact wrench and a 3/4" manual torque wrench for finishing it off.

First, using a breaker bar, I take a 1/4 turn off all the lugs before jacking anything up. Then, I do one corner at a time. Jack up the car to clear the wheel of the floor. Impact wrench to take the lug nuts off. Wheel off, wheel on, hand start each lug. Impact wrench to snug it all up. Repeat 3 more times.

Ryobi Impact wrench maxes out at 100lbft. And a quarter turn with the torque wrench is the extra 25-29 pounds. Done. Put the tools away. Put the wheels away. Done and done.

As with so many things...its all about the tools.

Is this because you're using the electric? I just jack up and then the impact takes it off immediately. I think my twin impact is something like 400 ft/lbs.

Yes...because it is electric. I bought it to field change tires on my trailer. Works great for the Tesla since I hand torque the last 1/4 turn anyway. Downside is...it won't break the lug nuts loose without taking the 1/4 turn off. Upside...no compressor or hose, and it only costs $79. And I can't accidentally forget to set the pneumatic tool correctly and spin the threads out of a nut or break a stud off at the hub. I am prone to doing dumb things like that.