Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turbine wheels now mandatory with P85D - intentional change or design studio glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

70D/85/85DP85D
Motor/Battery31
Paint88
Roof22
Wheels42
Seats77
Dash Trim44
AutoPilot22
SAS22
UHF22
Rear Seats/Cold Weather + Premium/Headliner1414
Calipers
Spoiler

Possibilities:602,112401,408
Total:
So I get 1M configurations, and only 501k hardware combinations.
If you put a 3 different combinations in roof it gets right. 1 with hard roof, one glass and one with glass and audio.

now the headliner "defaults" to white alcantara - does that mean you get the black alcantara insert piece on the dash too?
I can definitely see that not being to everyones taste.

Having test driven cars with the alcantara insert on the dash and now owning a Model S with Napa leather/faux leather on the dash, I actually prefer my car's look. I would be just with the the alcantara, but I prefer the look and feel of mine more.

If you put a 3 different combinations in roof it gets right. 1 with hard roof, one glass and one with glass and audio.

And remove the UFH completely?

I still don't understand the XM thing... You need pano and UFH to get XM to work. But I thought I read on here that XM still works with only the pano, you just don't get the subscription?

And remove the UFH completely?

I still don't understand the XM thing... You need pano and UFH to get XM to work. But I thought I read on here that XM still works with only the pano, you just don't get the subscription?

My understanding, which could be wrong, is 2012 cars without UHF had XM, but then Tesla moved the antenna and with that, UHF and pano became a requirement. In all cases, a subscription to XM is not included, so the owner must get the subscription him/herself.

Thanks Cyclone.

Fanatic, the more I think about it, the more I think my last calculation is correct. You can't CHOOSE to not have XM but still have pano and uhf. So it doesn't fall under either the number of configurations or the number of hardware configurations.

Think of it this way, how many ways can you configure the roof and sound and xm, only? If they were independent it'd be 8. In our case it's only 4, hence the 2 for roof and 2 for UHF above.

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST STOP WITH THE BUNDLING!?!
(Yes I'm screaming)
Just let the customers chose each indovidual option like bmw/merc/audi does (in europe at least).
Sure, they can still have packages but selecting a package should then result in a discount compared to selecting each individual item.
I have '14 MS but if Tesla continues to screw things up, I will probably not get another Tesla when this lease expires in '17...

Tesla is probably trying to reduce manufacturing costs.

But yes, bundling tends to piss people off. It's already barely tolerable in a Honda (notorious for stupid bundles), but for something as expensive as a Tesla I consider it a huge mistake.

Bundles not necessarily a bad thing as they can preserve resale cost much better than individual options which are next to worthless at resale.

Car + Lux Pack + Sport Pack + Tech Pack etc usually listed separately in car guides.

This is also good for Tesla as strong resale is a great selling point and for brand image.

but yes, individual options should be offered too to keep new buyers happy.
Problem with lots of options is that it does complicate build (though paint colour is arguably the biggest due to paint shop reconfiguration time), and increased exposure to supply chain lapses.

I ordered a P85D on May 16 with the 21" gray turbine wheels. The following week Tesla made the changes where 21" tires/wheels are required. Here is something I bet most potential Tesla owners (and most owners) don't know...Tesla will give you a 24 hour loaner car to evaluate once you put down your $2,500 and before your 7 day grace period is up. I found this out from the store manager. I asked for a P85D with every option. The local store had to borrow a P85D from another store. I had only done test drives with the P85D (in April 2015 at the Vegas store with 19" tires/wheels); and with a P85+ (Oct. 2013 with 21" tires/wheels); and on May 16 with a 85D (19" tires/wheels). After driving over 200 miles with the loaner, I decided the 21" wheels/tires look awesome; however the tires are somewhat noisy and I've read many stories of how the 21" wheels are more prone to damage. I decided to changed to 19" wheels/tires. I saw on the forum that 21" tires/wheels are now required with the P85D 2 days before the cut-off date to cancel/finalize my order. I quickly went to the "My Tesla" page and it appears I was grandfathered and was able to switch to the $0 cost option for the 19" tires/wheels even though the webpage stated that 21" tires/wheels are required. See screenshot below that shows the P85D with 19" tires/wheels yet underneath the P85D is selected and inside the blue box it states "Requires 21" Wheels." I finalized the order and it appears that the P85D will be built with the 19" standard tires/wheels.

image showing 19 tires, wheels.JPG

Turbine wheels now mandatory with P85D - intentional change or design studio ...

I ordered a P85D on May 16 with the 21" gray turbine wheels. The following week Tesla made the changes where 21" tires/wheels are required. Here is something I bet most potential Tesla owners (and most owners) don't know...Tesla will give you a 24 hour loaner car to evaluate once you put down your $2,500 and before your 7 day grace period is up. I found this out from the store manager. I asked for a P85D with every option. The local store had to borrow a P85D from another store. I had only done test drives with the P85D (in April 2015 at the Vegas store with 19" tires/wheels); and with a P85+ (Oct. 2013 with 21" tires/wheels); and on May 16 with a 85D (19" tires/wheels). After driving over 200 miles with the loaner, I decided the 21" wheels/tires look awesome; however the tires are somewhat noisy and I've read many stories of how the 21" wheels are more prone to damage. I decided to changed to 19" wheels/tires. I saw on the forum that 21" tires/wheels are now required with the P85D 2 days before the cut-off date to cancel/finalize my order. I quickly went to the "My Tesla" page and it appears I was grandfathered and was able to switch to the $0 cost option for the 19" tires/wheels even though the webpage stated that 21" tires/wheels are required. See screenshot below that shows the P85D with 19" tires/wheels yet underneath the P85D is selected and inside the blue box it states "Requires 21" Wheels." I finalized the order and it appears that the P85D will be built with the 19" standard tires/wheels.

View attachment 82071

Did they credit you back $4500 or are they charging you for the 21s and you're just getting a "free downgrade"?

Did they credit you back $4500 or are they charging you for the 21s and you're just getting a "free downgrade"?

I was able to simply change out the 21" gray turbines with the 19" standard wheels/tires and the cost of the P85D decreased by $4,5000. I was able to do this since I did not finalize my order. I wonder what will happen when P85Ds are scheduled for delivery during the late fall and winter...will potential buyers in cold climates purchase the P85D knowing they will get summer tires? My thoughts are Tesla would hurt their sales if they limited the P85D to only summer tires during late fall/winter delivery dates. I wouldn't want to buy a P85D with summer tires and then go and have to switch them out with all-season or winter tires. I'd want the P85D to be delivered ready to drive off.

I wonder what will happen when P85Ds are scheduled for delivery during the late fall and winter...will potential buyers in cold climates purchase the P85D knowing they will get summer tires?

I had the same concern when I bought my P85+ inventory car from the Maryland SC. It was a loaner during the winter of '13/'14, I wonder how many people unknowingly got the car as a loaner, and didn't know they were driving on 21" summer tires in the cold and/or snow? Luckily, (AFAIK), the car wasn't in any accidents, but still, that seems strange for a loaner in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area. Or maybe they just didn't loan it out during the winter season?

I had the same concern when I bought my P85+ inventory car from the Maryland SC. It was a loaner during the winter of '13/'14, I wonder how many people unknowingly got the car as a loaner, and didn't know they were driving on 21" summer tires in the cold and/or snow? Luckily, (AFAIK), the car wasn't in any accidents, but still, that seems strange for a loaner in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area. Or maybe they just didn't loan it out during the winter season?

I saw an entire trailer full of P85Ds with 19" tires being brought to the Vegas Tesla service center (late April 2015). I was told by the Tesla sales rep that these P85Ds were being brought back after spending time in the snow. Makes me think that the 19" tires work better than the 21" tires if all these P85Ds were configured with 19" tires.

2015-04-30 13.57.30.jpg