Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably already posted, but don't have time to wade through 20 pages at this moment:

SEC Sues Elon Musk for Fraud, Seeks Removal From Tesla

What I find interesting here is that SEC offered a settlement, which Elon refused, hence the action.

So either a) the settlement was unacceptable or b) Elon is innocent of the charge - I believe the latter, but we still need to be dragged though this.

Very clever by the shorts to manipulate the SEC to do this at this moment, they were about to get burned badly - could still happen.
Regulatory capture is a b***h. At this point it's safe to assume the SEC is a hostile agency which is probably controlled by the various interests which want to destroy Tesla. There is no reason to assume they will come to the table with a better settlement now or in the future. We don't know the terms of the settlement they offered before this filing but it was probably not good for Elon or Tesla. I can't think of any reason why Elon would have walked back on a favorable settlement that left him in control of Tesla and required no admission of wrongdoing.

If the settlement involved the removal of Elon Musk as CEO, the settlement would worse than losing in court, as it would mean immediate removal of Elon as CEO.

I have no problem with Elon becoming the “Entertainment Director” at Tesla.

Attachments

• 28861099-F58D-4FC5-8539-659378A9E9B6.jpeg
    28861099-F58D-4FC5-8539-659378A9E9B6.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 56
Just to clarify, the Saudi Public Investment Fund does not have anywhere NEAR $2 Trillion Dollars, the entire size of the fund is something around $250 Billion.

Firstly, the Saudi PIF has announced a target asset range of 2 trillion dollars within the next decade:

"How Saudi Arabia Is Building Its $2 Trillion Fund"

"The prince announced plans for a $500 billion city called Neom on the Red Sea"​

They are growing their fund aggressively, and Tesla would have fit into that very well, with a Gigafactory built in that city. It would have been reckless for Elon to not consider funding secured after the Saudis made their offer.

Secondly, are the SEC lawyers really going to try to make the following argument to the jury and the judge:

"Your honor, the SEC is making the argument that funding could not have been considered secured, as the Saudi PIF had only 250 billion dollars of assets under management, with a 2,000 billion dollars target by 2030."​

I'd like to have an audio recording of the incredulous laughter that would erupt from members of the jury on hearing that argument... and the judge ruling from the bench to dismiss the lawsuit as frivolous.

Now could they possibly fund a complete buyout of Tesla, yes, would you ever concentrate that much capital in one (risky) venture? No. Silver Lake was, as far as I am aware not consulted until after the tweets.

Silver Lake and Goldman Sachs was likely consulted to get a better deal: shareholder value is maximized in a bidding war, which won't happen with a single buyer.

But more importantly, the formal going-private plan Silver Lake and Goldman Sachs presented to the Tesla board is independent proof that Elon's belief just two weeks earlier that funding was secured was not just honest belief, but also truthful: Elon probably knew that he could round up enough funds in short order, so the only open question was what shareholders are thinking about it.

Which is exactly what he tweeted, and which is exactly what happened.

How could it have been 'false' or 'reckless' for Elon to claim that funding is secured, if he managed to secure two independent sources of funding (with different conditions for the deal)?

The shorts keep forgetting this: truth is an absolute defense against allegations of falsehood.

Last edited:
Think about it, Elon would of course fight. If he fought, he doesn’t have to admit guilt which would screw his chances with the shareholder suits. Imagine how much they would kill him if he settled with he SEC. Worst case scenario for us is if Tesla stock dips due to to Elon losing, then he gets to take it private at a discount! Win-win for Elon... lose for us shareholders.
lose for shareholders? Shares public are the same shares private. Current price only matters if you selling.

Good stuff. Who can we bring this to to prosecute the SEC lawyers?

Tesla shareholders, owners and fans within the U.S. can have probably have the biggest impact: don't just talk, organize and act! Also, vote in November.

As to what kind of legal action to take, if any: that would be legal advice which this isn't. Any legal action would be coordinated by lawyers who can advise about what to do, and there's also the social media, political and other forums that should be pursued in parallel.

Elon did the right thing by informing shareholders about the going-private efforts, and what the SEC is trying to do here is unprecedented, harmful and extremely reckless.

I think the main determinant for SEC to sue Elon Musk for lying about his funding secured tweet is that he didn’t follow through with going private. He fooled me and I lost a lot of money.

When Musk claimed his intent to consider going private, I thought it was duly considered and announced, and I put in a lot of money to TSLA to sell or hold at the 420 price point. When Musk turned out to be weak, margin ate most my money. I try to learn from this, but the main issue is the same SEC ‘s suit claims, that Musk wasn’t in earnest.

Now wirh the most promising transformative quarter for TSLA ever, once again, the SEC is causing me to lose a lot of money, and may make me homeless.

Last edited:
Probably already posted, but don't have time to wade through 20 pages at this moment:

SEC Sues Elon Musk for Fraud, Seeks Removal From Tesla

What I find interesting here is that SEC offered a settlement, which Elon refused, hence the action.

So either a) the settlement was unacceptable or b) Elon is innocent of the charge - I believe the latter, but we still need to be dragged though this.

Very clever by the shorts to manipulate the SEC to do this at this moment, they were about to get burned badly - could still happen.

Yes and yet, Elon considered the settlement so there is zero chance that it included barring him from being CEO/director from public companies.

edit: this point was made earlier in the thread.

Difficult for us, Europeans, when there are 1.000 new posts when we try to get some sleep :p

Last edited:
Tesla shareholders, owners and fans within the U.S. can have probably have the biggest impact: don't just talk, organize and act! Also, vote in November.

As to what kind of legal action to take, if any: that would be legal advice which this isn't. Any legal action would be coordinated by lawyers who can advise about what to do, and there's also the social media, political and other forums that should be pursued in parallel.

Elon did the right thing by informing shareholders about the going-private efforts, and what the SEC is trying to do here is unprecedented, harmful and extremely reckless.
On that note, and this has been bugging me for weeks if not months now, the SEC has been leaking with news of this investigation for the past few months to major media outlets. I am not saying this was organized and intended, but is definitely unacceptable and has at times moved the stock at least as much as Musk`s tweets. Does the SEC chairman have any responsibilities to ensure this is not happening? Would these frequent and anonymous leaks warrant an investigation?

On that note, and this has been bugging me for weeks if not months now, the SEC has been leaking with news of this investigation for the past few months to major media outlets. I am not saying this was organized and intended, but is definitely unacceptable and has at times moved the stock at least as much as Musk`s tweets.

If true then it's not just "unacceptable" but very likely criminal, I can see several potential crimes on a cursory reading, some of them felonies with long prison sentences and disbarment for life for the SEC employees and any shorts/traders involved:
  • insider trading,
  • market manipulation,
  • leaking of attorney-client privileged and agency privileged confidential information,
  • RICO charges if it was done in a criminal conspiracy to defraud investors,
  • etc.
... and of course billions of dollars of civil damages, tripled by any RICO charges.

Does the SEC chairman have any responsibilities to ensure this is not happening? Would these frequent and anonymous leaks warrant an investigation?

Yes, absolutely, normally not just these leaks but market-moving untrue articles would be investigated as well, such as the hit piece in the New York Times by David Gelles, which likely misrepresented a phone interview with Elon and caused a drop of over 10% - and similar recent incidents of market-moving FUD pieces that happened to be designed to help short sellers financially, at the expense of Tesla shareholders.

While the Trump administration is unlikely to investigate, Tesla shareholders could call for the California State Attorney General to investigate these potential crimes that might have been committed here, which caused billions of dollars of damages to the largest carmaker of the state and employer of tens of thousands of Californians.

WSJ:

"Whether Elon Musk’s new legal difficulties will result in his being banned from serving as an officer or director of any publicly traded-company is far from certain.

The Securities and Exchange Commission sued the Tesla, Inc. chief executive for securities fraud Thursday, seeking in part to ban him from serving as an officer of a publicly traded company, a measure that is common in such cases, according to former SEC lawyers.

If Mr. Musk chooses to go to trial and a jury finds him liable for securities fraud, a federal judge would determine whether Mr. Musk should be banned from the securities industry for any period of time. If he and the government agree to a settlement before trial, both sides would likely negotiate any ban.

Because the complaint is against Mr. Musk and not Tesla, any financial penalties would come out of Mr. Musk’s pocket—not those of shareholders, said Joseph A. Grundfest, a Stanford Law School professor and former SEC commissioner. That leads to what Mr. Grundfest said was a central question to the SEC: “How do you punish Musk without harming Tesla’s shareholders?”

“Elon Musk is really important to the company’s future,” Mr. Grundfest said. “If he is barred from acting in ways that are central to the company’s success, then the shareholders of Tesla wind up being the largest victims of the process.”

[...]

"Former SEC lawyers said the speed of the investigation was unusually fast, as the SEC complaint came less than two months after Mr. Musk’s tweet.

Some SEC experts said the commission may be trying to send a strong message to Silicon Valley’s freewheeling culture that chief executives who appear to mislead investors will face regulatory scrutiny."

SEC Action Could Mean Ban for Musk, but It’s Not Certain

If this all boils down to "funding secured" or not. Is there any indication that SEC have had any contact with the Saudis? Couldn't all of this just be settled with a simple conversation. Maybe the Saudis have shied away from all contact since they weren't too happy with how public their involvement became.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
At the end of the press conference, they mentioned the names of the people that did the investigation. I found that very strange, is that a common practice? To me that seems like a bunch of people trying to benefit from the situation by trying to get famous or by trying to improve their reputation.
Can we give this one more flypast ? Is this a common practice ???

Status
Not open for further replies.