Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Top panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could always perforate the cover under the factory opening (if you have one). Air definitely flows into the trunk from there if the HVAC isn’t on recirculate.
After having mounted the cover, I don't believe this is necessary. There is maybe an inch of room between the cover and the top trunk panel, and plenty of gaps on the sides for air to escape. Perhaps the airflow is reduced a bit, but the cover is by no means airtight. The best test will probably be to see how the car deals with humidity/condensation in the winter.

Reactions: TORQU3
Strangely, mine doesn’t have this opening. Build date 6/19. We are talking under then parcel shelf, right?

Edit: Adding pictures of the trunk side of my parcel shelf. - Solid metal.

ps2.jpg
ps1.jpg

That looks nice. Did you have the plastic Trunk Garnish in place before. Can't tell if you went over top of the Trunk Garnish or if you removed it first. I know some early models did not come with the Trunk Garnish.

Here is a photo of before and after the Trunk Garnish. Still lots of exposed metal with just the Trunk Garnish in place.

View attachment 437175

When was your M3 built?

When was your M3 built?

Mine is a Nov 2018 build and looks like this photo. I saw a June 2019 build and they had the opening cut out but it had a pad inside it. Yours with the solid metal must be the latest version.

Maybe Tesla just needed the opening to enable them to build the car. Afterward they may have developed a different procedure and did not need the opening and decided to cover it. Later when new stampings were made they just omitted the opening. It's quite possible Tesla made the opening for Them ..... and not for Us. :)

Dhbx7UkW4AIdvw6.jpg

Mine is a Nov 2018 build and looks like this photo. I saw a June 2019 build and they had the opening cut out but it had a pad inside it. Yours with the solid metal must be the latest version.

Maybe Tesla just needed the opening to enable them to build the car. Afterward they may have developed a different procedure and did not need the opening and decided to cover it. Later when new stampings were made they just omitted the opening. It's quite possible Tesla made the opening for Them ..... and not for Us. :)

View attachment 438044

I understand some Tesla employees monitor this site, perhaps someday, the truth behind this mystery shall be told! :eek::D:p

Reactions: beachmiles and mrau
Way ahead of you. ;) It is a bit more difficult than it sounds though, because the garnish doesn't click back into place if you leave too much material. You need to trim exactly to the point where it just fits without leaving a gap. Using Velcro instead of the adhesive strips helped because I was able to make small adjustments. But it turned out well.

View attachment 437615
How did you pop the trunk garnish fully off? I can pop out the middle section but cant seem to get the covered bolts/clips(?) at the ends out. Do i just need to use a flathead to pop those out?

I really like the finished look of the plastic garnish and don't want to put the mat over top of it. How did you end up cutting the mat- seems pretty thick?

How did you pop the trunk garnish fully off? I can pop out the middle section but cant seem to get the covered bolts/clips(?) at the ends out. Do i just need to use a flathead to pop those out?
These are regular push-pins. You pop out the middle part, and then pull out the whole pin.
I really like the finished look of the plastic garnish and don't want to put the mat over top of it. How did you end up cutting the mat- seems pretty thick?
I simply used scissors. It has to be cut quite close to allow the garnish to snap back in, but be careful not to cut too much. As I wrote earlier, replacing the mounting tape with industrial-strength velcro can help to fix small alignment issues (and makes the whole thing easily removable if need be).