Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling Spain and Portugal what kind of charging cards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is my first question on this forum. As a backup plan for this summer we are looking at travelling via the Netherlands to Northern Spain and Northern Portugal. What do I need for that? The Tesla of course, but any charging cards and which one do I choose? I do not dare to rely on SUCs alone. So which charging cards can I order? We will be staying in cottages or campsites and I do not expect that there will be a desitination charger that we can use. Thanks in advance!

You may also respond in Dutch!

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Hi,

This is my first question on this forum. As a backup plan for this summer we are looking at travelling via the Netherlands to Northern Spain and Northern Portugal. What do I need for that? The Tesla of course, but any charging cards and which one do I choose? I do not dare to rely on SUCs alone. So which charging cards can I order? We will be staying in cottages or campsites and I do not expect that there will be a desitination charger that we can use. Thanks in advance!

Hi

have you checked out Chargemap? It covers many charging networks off single card. There is one off payment for card.

Caroliene, the SuCs really are more than enough all the way from the NL to the S-W tip of Portugal. From experience, this was already the case in 2019 when I first did this, and in the meantime several SuCs have opened or are about to open.

My main recommendation was that you ensure your car can charge through CCS (for the V3 SUCs and 3rd-party). Already the case from the factory if it's a Model 3 or Raven Model S/X; if you have an older S/X I'd have Tesla do it asap which will cost 300€ and they usually schedule this through Mobile Service.

Muito boa sorte e acima de tudo "sensação de descoberta" para a viagem a Portugal. Ik kan me niets anders voorstellen dan dat jullie er erg van zullen genieten :)

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Hi,

As foodenix advises, I think it’s perfecty fine to rely on Superchargers!
So much more trusted than the third party nonsense… and your car can plan the route!

I drive my MY in Spain and Portugal a great deal.