Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling 395 East of the Sierras: Planning Charging and Energy Usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Museum manager and a couple of staffers greeted me as soon as I plugged in, so did not record peak charge level.
I glanced in and it was 330 ~ miles of rated charge per hour, so it's full strength.
started with almost full charge (85kwh) in OC this morning, topped off at Barstow, cruised up here (55-65 mph) arrived at lone Pine SC with about 75 rated miles to spare.
Going to check out museum, get lunch and head back.
I was as lucky to be able to take day off to sneak up here and try it out for fun.
I'll try pic again.

Nice pix, thanks! Now that both Rancho Cucamonga and Lone Pine are both open, I'm planning a trip from Orange County in my S85 to Mammoth stopping at both Superchargers. I'd rather avoid Barstow as its out of the way and not the safest spot (this weeks armed robbery and carjacking eg). EV planner routes me through an erroneous route but says that I need only about 70 kWh to travel from RC to LP with about 2500 feet of gain and 192 miles. It seems doable if I leave RC with a full charge and watch my speed and cabin temperature. Going the other way should be a piece of cake. Why did you choose to go through Barstow? Do you think RC to LP is doable? Thanks!

Nice pix, thanks! Now that both Rancho Cucamonga and Lone Pine are both open, I'm planning a trip from Orange County in my S85 to Mammoth stopping at both Superchargers. I'd rather avoid Barstow as its out of the way and not the safest spot (this weeks armed robbery and carjacking eg). EV planner routes me through an erroneous route but says that I need only about 70 kWh to travel from RC to LP with about 2500 feet of gain and 192 miles. It seems doable if I leave RC with a full charge and watch my speed and cabin temperature. Going the other way should be a piece of cake. Why did you choose to go through Barstow? Do you think RC to LP is doable? Thanks!

Honestly, I think unless you're doing 40, you're never gonna make it. But I could be wrong.

I think it's doable with conservative speeds. Add an extra 18 RM for the elevation and you're talking about 210 RM, which is definitely possible with an 85. Now if the temperature is really cold, your car is packed with people and gear, or you're using the roof rack then your mileage will vary. I would scout out some L2 charging sites on the way, just in case, though.

Thanks CB and Mike for your input. I think that one of you is probably right.

Will let you know when I make the trip. It's definitely not a slam dunk. I can assess the situation as I pass by Ridgecrest so that I can pick up some NEMA 14-50 juice if necessary.

Don't forget, any of you guys who make this trip, 15 miles north of Lone Pine is a cute town of Independence. There is a very clean, nicely appointed, and pro EV little motel with a Nema 14-50. It is Ray's Den. They are on Plugshare as well. The owner installed this at my request a couple of years ago.

I have never taken my Tesla to Saline Valley Hot Springs, its 75 miles rough dirt. But I heard there was 3 Model S' there last week!

:eek:

Id NEVER take ANY new car out there, Tesla or not. Even if the road has been recently graded and is very passable, it's still rocky and washboardy. One trip adds 10 years of squeaks and rattles...

:eek:

Id NEVER take ANY new car out there, Tesla or not. Even if the road has been recently graded and is very passable, it's still rocky and washboardy. One trip adds 10 years of squeaks and rattles...
I go there about 5 times a year for the last 30 years. My Japanese vehicles such as Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma fell apart. Interestingly, my Dodge Cummins 2006 has been there and worse over and over with zero problems.

Near Saline is Butte Valley, here is a fun video of the road with some of our fiddling thrown it. You see my friend's Tacoma failing miserably over the rock ledges where the Dodge has superb gearing and suspension travel. Saline Fiddlers Visit Butte Valley - YouTube

More chargers in Lone Pine would be good, but I hope to eventually see some in Bishop within walking distance of Schat's Bakery (Bakery)! That's our favorite business to patronize along 395, and we know others who'd agree. Whoa Nellie Deli (Info) in Lee Vining, north of Mammoth and a key gateway to Yosemite, would be another site on our 395 Supercharger wish list.

Reactions: Bet TSLA and McManX
More chargers in Lone Pine would be good, but I hope to eventually see some in Bishop within walking distance of Schat's Bakery (Bakery)! That's our favorite business to patronize along 395, and we know others who'd agree. Whoa Nellie Deli (Info) in Lee Vining, north of Mammoth and a key gateway to Yosemite, would be another site on our 395 Supercharger wish list.
I agree with you on all accounts.