Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Mode Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the Tow Hitch option installed in my month old MYLR yesterday. According to the Owner's Manual, I should be able to go into Controls/Pedals and Steering/Trailer Mode and turn the Trailer Mode function off. However, I have no such option available. I don't even have a Trailer Mode tab under Pedals and Steering. Here is the page in the Owner's Manual. This is the Owner's Manual listed when I go to tesla.com and sign into my account and pull up my documents.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...-8DE3-4750-8BAF-0DCC0CFA0C5C.html#TRAILERMODE

Those of you who have Tow Hitch, can you share your experience? Is this something which has been removed by software? Should I have this feature? I'm suspecting that the technician did not load the software for Trailer Mode when he did the install. Is the option to turn it on or off there even when trailer isn't connected?

Thanks.

Installed by who? If it was installed by Tesla, it sounds like you need to contact them about enabling this for you.
It was installed by Tesla. I think that's the only way to buy it. It's $1300, which includes installation.

When I got home and connected my trailer, I got zero feedback. I called the service center which did the installation. They said their first available appointment was in January. So, in the meantime, I'm trying to learn about the system and how it's supposed to work.

Today, I am able to answer my own question.

After complaining to the Service Center multiple times, I got them to move my service appointment up to 12-27-23.

This morning, I received and installed the new update which has been talked about in the news this past week. This update includes some changes to using Autopilot and FSD. After the update installed, I now have properly operating trailer lighting. Also, under "Pedals and Steering", the last option all the way at the bottom is to turn on or turn off Trailer Mode. It seems that my new hitch and wiring just needed to be enabled.

So, everything is now working properly. It's a shame that the mechanic who installed the hitch did not know that it had to be enabled through software. Also, the service writer assured me that everything was working properly and that there would be no way to or need to turn on or turn off Trailer Mode, since it was all automatic. Well, it is automatically engaged, but it does not automatically disengage after unhitching the trailer. All of this is spelled out in the manual. The service writer convinced me that the manual was outdated.

Reactions: Visvism
Today, I am able to answer my own question.

After complaining to the Service Center multiple times, I got them to move my service appointment up to 12-27-23.

This morning, I received and installed the new update which has been talked about in the news this past week. This update includes some changes to using Autopilot and FSD. After the update installed, I now have properly operating trailer lighting. Also, under "Pedals and Steering", the last option all the way at the bottom is to turn on or turn off Trailer Mode. It seems that my new hitch and wiring just needed to be enabled.

So, everything is now working properly. It's a shame that the mechanic who installed the hitch did not know that it had to be enabled through software. Also, the service writer assured me that everything was working properly and that there would be no way to or need to turn on or turn off Trailer Mode, since it was all automatic. Well, it is automatically engaged, but it does not automatically disengage after unhitching the trailer. All of this is spelled out in the manual. The service writer convinced me that the manual was outdated.
Alonzo, this response is hugely helpful to me. I have had a hardware for model X for about a month, and the trailer wiring is an ongoing issue. It does not function with the brakes or turn signals, but does have a constant 3 volts going to the 3 positive wires for brakes and turn signals. Nobody seems to know what's going on including the rangers or the service centers. They have now referred me to some sort of roving Ranger that covers several states. I have thought all along that it is probably an update. The current update has not downloaded to my model X yet, but I think I will switch the update mode to "early" and see if I can get it downloaded now. Thanks again.

Alonzo, this response is hugely helpful to me. I have had a hardware for model X for about a month, and the trailer wiring is an ongoing issue. It does not function with the brakes or turn signals, but does have a constant 3 volts going to the 3 positive wires for brakes and turn signals. Nobody seems to know what's going on including the rangers or the service centers. They have now referred me to some sort of roving Ranger that covers several states. I have thought all along that it is probably an update. The current update has not downloaded to my model X yet, but I think I will switch the update mode to "early" and see if I can get it downloaded now. Thanks again.

Did the next software update fix your issue? I paid for trailer hitch installation, but "trailer mode" does not appear in the "pedals and steering" menu. Haven't tried using the wiring yet.

Did the next software update fix your issue? I paid for trailer hitch installation, but "trailer mode" does not appear in the "pedals and steering" menu. Haven't tried using the wiring yet.
Software did not fix the issue. Ultimately I went to the Cleveland service center and they diagnosed it as a faulty control unit that is attached to the hitch receiver. They replace the entire receiver and control unit as an assembly. That did fix the problem.

Also added a Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller. This plugs into the 7 point plug and adds power to the exiting wiring to run the electric brakes on my snowmobile trailer. Works great with no messy interior brake controller install.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
Just had my hitch installed by a local SC and missing the trailer mode software. Whats crazy is that they knew the software had to be installed before beginning the work because they wanted to make sure they had enough time to complete. I was at the SC for 4 hours and now have to try and figure out how to get the correct package installed. I wish Tesla didn't hide software behind arbitrary doors.

Just had my hitch installed by a local SC and missing the trailer mode software. Whats crazy is that they knew the software had to be installed before beginning the work because they wanted to make sure they had enough time to complete. I was at the SC for 4 hours and now have to try and figure out how to get the correct package installed. I wish Tesla didn't hide software behind arbitrary doors.
I had the same issue. Mine magically appeared after several days, without even installing a software update. Not sure how that works!

I went back by the SC and they fixed it in 5 minutes lol. Brought out a laptop and some cord that connected to my car. Few minutes later I had trailer mode available and they apologized for the inconvenience of needing to come back. Quick and easy.

Had to visit the SC for a third time because the hitch receiver was not correctly receiving signals / power. The lead tech took everything apart, reseated connections, and updated the firmware. This fixed the issue and now all works properly.