Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode = donut mode in the snow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t think I would use track mode but SA told me to give it a try in the snow as it shuts off all of the traction control/ keep car in line sensor.

Super fun doing some donuts/ drifting in the snow! Only did a few figure 8’s as doing during the daylight is recipe for attention :)

Reactions: jmaddr
Nice! Although my M3LR has good traction control, I do wish I could switch it off to do snow donuts. Also, I was missing the handbrake, which was my method of choice for initiating donuts. Looks like I need a M3P now.

Yeh, unfortunately the model 3 isn’t a good drift car lol. You’ll need a M3P with track mode or rwd with mpp partybox to get some sideways action;)

FYI, traction control and stability control are two separate things. TC restricts throttle to prevent drive wheel spin. SC fires the brakes at individual corners to adjust over/understeer. Probably, track mode turns of SC while retaining TC (or turning TC down) much like the DSC off button in my BMW.

I might have heard of the sensors being unplugged in the rwd...not sure about awd. But give it a try and let us know!

Yes, I can confirm unplugging an ABS sensor on a P3D also disables TC, ABS, SC, regen etc.
Not sure if it will be the same amount of fun in the snow as a RWD but bound to be better than with it all turned on.
What surprised me was how easy it was to lock up under braking with everything off. You really feel the weight of the car and have to go back to driving it with some feel rather than just letting the car do it all. Everyone should try it at least once :D